DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 79 B200 van with a 318 (Runs Great) with 180,000mi.
Recently the Transmission finally took a dump and the van wont move (1/4 inch of metal shavings in the pan) and I know it's toast. It' a 727 with the long tail shaft
I have a Tranny from a 72 Dodge Motorhome - it's a 727 but it's the Heavy Duty 1 ton version (with a shorter tail shaft).

My Question:
Is there a way to use the longer tail shaft off the tranny I'm pulling out of the 79, and attach it to the HD Tranny, to make the whole thing work together?
-or is it not possible/not interchangeable?

I am really limited on funds and hoping I can make this happen without taking it to a shop. Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I believe that an upgrade transmission would be the newer
There are two common Dodge 4-Speed automatics: The non-lockup 518 and the lockup version designated 618/47RH. The 518 was used prior to computer controls until 1994. Everything '94 and newer has the lockup torque converter (618/47RH). The gear ratios of each of these transmissions is the same.

The 4-speed automatic is basically the old venerable 727

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
That's a bit vague. The 518 was non-lockup til some point in '92. The lockup units were phased in on light duty first, til by '94 even the diesels had them. The 518 was redesignated 46RH in '94. There was a 518HD that initially did diesel/V10 duty until a specially beefed 618 derivative was developed, then redesignated 47RH. Pre-'96 the transmissions had limited computer controls with hydraulic actuation. '96 and newer had greater computer control with electronic actuation. And while the front three gear section is essentially a carry-over from the 727, you cannot slide off a 727 tailshaft and replace it with an overdrive unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 72 Trans is in great shape, fluid is bright red, less than 80,000 miles on it. The trans out of the 79 fluid is black, inside is toasted.
They are almost identical side by side, except the long and short tailshaft (and the E brake on the 72).
So i basically need to swap everything from the 72 into the 79 housing with the correct tailshaft housing? Or is there another way you would suggest.
I have the time to tackle the project, but the more I read into it, there are 20 different answers to this question on forums all over the net. Just hoping for one solid answer before I start haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.