DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2012 Ram Longhorn with the 730N nav system in it and I would have to say it's the worst nav I've ever used. Tries to tell me to take the stupidest routes, like a couple days ago I needed to go 1.5 hours on a paved road I was already on but it wanted me to make a u-turn and go some other way which was to take over 4 hours.:smiledown:

Is there some settings I can change or update to make or?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ya, the algorithms in the Navteq based systems are out to lunch at times. You never know when you can trust them so I only use it as a last resort. I keep a stand-alone Garmin with me for when I really need a GPS.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I wonder if it varies by region because mine has worked fine every time I've used it.....?

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
neither the NAVTEQ or the GARMIN based Navigation is really up to date on roads made in the last couple years,
when i am going to an area that i am unfamiliar with, i first use a search engine like Google or Yahoo to plot my trip, which cites will i be passing close to is my main thought.

Then when i am using my Nav in the truck, say that i am going from San Diego to New York, i don't just put New York as the destination, i put El Paso Texas, Texarkana, Arkansas, Nashville, Tennessee, Allentown, Pa, then New York.
When i am returning home, i take a more northern route, through Dayton Oh, Joplin, Mo, Muskogee Oklahoma or Amarillo Tx, depending on weather conditions
Both routes take about the same time, 4 1/2 days

My Ram would have me shoot up to the Interstate 80 & go all the way across, way out of the way

Updating the Nav maps every 3 years is about as often as is necessary, mostly just points of Interest are updated more often
3 new highways or highway extensions have been done for about 2 years in my County & they still are not on my update that i just bought

Best to buy a handheld Garmin with Lifetime Maps & Traffic, these devices will have something like
Garmin NUVI 1350LMT in the name
another option is to buy the Micro Card with Lifetime Maps for your current handheld
http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/25109/Garmin-Numaps.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am guessing this is not possible, but apparently the less expensive 430N navigation system is Garmin based - is it possible to update the software on a 730N to be garmin based or would you have to change out the whole unit?

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
the RER & RHR are Navteq systems
the RHB is Garmin based
the software is not interchangeable

By the way, when you do upgrade these systems, you are going to pay $170 each & every time
A Garmin NUVI handheld with Lifetime Maps & Traffic may cost $200 or a bit more, depending on which goodies that you want with it
You only pay for it ONE time, no extra charges

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wonder if it varies by region because mine has worked fine every time I've used it.....?
It kind of does vary by region...

Chrysler has decided that it wants the 730N unit to use roads that have actually been surveyed. This means that those of us in a rural region where the road data comes from unverified sources are having major issues with routing.

I have not been able to input a destination and get routing that gets me there in an efficient manner.:4-dontknow:

I would like chrysler allow us to choose whether or not we use this information. Right now my GPS is useless.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Mine has worked great too. I usually know where I'm basically going and just need the Navigation to pinpoint me when I get close. The only thing I dont like about the whole sirius/nav thing is that the traffic doesnt show up for us Canadians. That would be nice to have...along with the gas prices. The 730 was $500 cheaper when I factory ordered the truck over the 430. I like the features of the radio/navigation but just wish it worked in Canada as well as it does in the states for the extras that come with the radio.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Interesting recent experience:

I was traveling across a small mountain range on mostly fire roads and the Navi. has them mapped! The mapping was surprisingly complete and accurate which made me feel a little better being out in BFE on a whim :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts