DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my 1500 CC Laramie with the 3.0 diesel,for about two weeks. I traded out of a 2008 F250 with the 6.4 diesel and there is no comparison. My fuel savings are making half my payment, the truck certainly wasn't free, but cutting my fuel costs in half are huge, nearly $200 per month.

Onto the point of the post. I'm picking audio upgrade components and I am really leaning toward a JBL MS-8. Since I have the 8.4AN and no CD player, how do I run the setup CD for the MS-8?

Can I just load it to an iPod and run it from there? Anyone else run into this? I tried a USB DVD player and No Joy!

And info would be appreciated. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
199 Posts
You can certainly use an ipod, or an SD card. You will still need a summing device like an LC7i Audiocontrol to get the most from the factory head unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LC7i also?

I thought the MS-8 would handle the summing. It has 8 high level or RCA level inputs to grab signal. Or am I missing something?

I just want to be sure I can copy the MS-8 audio file to an iPod and the MS-8 will be able to calibrate.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
You need to transfer the CD to a storage device or I believe you can get the disc in a digital format directly from them. The problem with an ipod is the file needs to be in a full spectrum format like .wav and most ipods don't accept them.

And yes, the MS-8 will handle the summing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You are correct about the ms8 handling the summing. I was thinking wrong... It's the RCA inputs that is doesn't sum. Make sure all of your signals are processes through the ms8!! In other words, don't leave any speakers playing off the factory amp, they will be out of phase.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I asked this in another thread, but I'll do it here too:

Do I need to run something more than the FR R, FR L, and Sub into the MS-8's high-level inputs? I was thinking that should be enough to create the summed signal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I asked this in another thread, but I'll do it here too:

Do I need to run something more than the FR R, FR L, and Sub into the MS-8's high-level inputs? I was thinking that should be enough to create the summed signal?

Thanks!
I would use all the factory inputs you can. The ms8 has enough.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So, I've got a very similiar truck to your and I'd love to hear what you think of the ms-8 once you get it installed. Post back, please.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Any updates on the install of the MS-8 on the 8.4AN?

I have a '14 Limited with the 8.4AN and I am contemplating the same thing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I haven't got to that point in my system work yet.. Been dragging my butt I guess lol. I've got to rework my sub enclosure and decide on which speakers I'm using.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I can't wait to get some reports on these. It would be so nice to have a low price upgrade like this.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Subscribed for results

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ordered a JBL MS-8. I will have a story to tell eventually with my Limited.
I'm now questioning the merit of the MS-8 vs. trying to replace the stock 8.4AN HU.

I keep hearing that the stock HU can only be improved upon so much, and the signal from it will never be as good as most aftermarket HU's.

Is it even possible to replace the stock 8.4AN HU and still have everything work with an aftermarket HU (controls for seat ventilation, AC, Nav, etc.)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
No progress yet

I have no progress To report yet, I am still collecting funds for the project. Meanwhile there is a thread on RamForum titled Operation Big Speakers Little Holes.

The OP used an MS-8 for the DSP and the system seems like it turned amazing.

As far as the 8.4AN being replaced I have sevens all kinds of installs using the factory HU and others using aftermarket, it depends on your tastes. I have it on pretty good authority that Alpine is making a 9" HU that will replace the 8.4AN and still support all the factory features the 8.4AN performs. They just announce the unit for the GMs so the Chrysler unit should not be far behind.

Meanwhile I like the idea of keeping the factory HU an adding the MS-8. The reviews are pretty good and once you have full signal it can sound amazing. I'm not into SPL anymore, I try to go for SQ now.

I don't think I added much of value to this post, but, when the time comes I will post a full build log using the MS-8.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts