DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, but I’m looking for some answers. I’ve got a 2014 Bighorn with the 8 speed transmission. At around 95k it started shuddering while shifting up in low gears, but only under moderate throttle. For example, if I’m taking off from a stoplight behind someone moseying along, it’ll shudder pretty bad from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and sometimes 3-4. Only shudders while shifting. Also, if I hammer the gas, it doesn’t shudder.

I took it in to the dealer at 95k and they reset the computer on the transmission so it would relearn my patterns. It never shuddered while learning, but shuddering started again once I drove it a bit. Took it in again at 100,084 miles. Actually, my wife took it in for me since I had to work. The tech felt the shudder again and said they would need to keep it to diagnose. I told my wife to ask about the diagnosis being under warranty since the issue started at 95k. The service manager wasn’t in that day to talk about warranty work, so they sent my wife on her way with the truck.

A few days later, I stop by the dealer and talk to the service manager. She says I need to open a case with Chrysler for them to decide if it can be covered under warranty, so I do.

To cut this story short and to get to my question: the dealership has had my truck for 3 weeks and have decided that the shudder is not a transmission issue, but possibly an engine timing issue. They’re going to try to diagnose it as an engine issue and get back to me.

They said they couldn’t tear down the transmission to diagnose the shudder as that’s not an option for the 8spd. Is that true? Is it really totally sealed and the only option is a replacement? Also, if that is true, how do they go about ruling out the transmission as the culprit, if they can’t open it up? Sounds weird to me, but I’m not a mechanic.

Also, could a timing issue cause a very specific issue like this that only happens when shifting under certain conditions?

I’m just looking for a second opinion from people that know more than me, but aren’t directly involved with this ordeal. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if more info is needed, I’ll be happy to add it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Sounds like blowing smoke to me. If it only happens during shifts sure sounds more like a trans problem than an engine problem. I know they claim the trans fluid is "lifetime" but somewhere or other lifetime is defined as 100k miles. If it were me, I'd replace the fluid. That requires replacing the pan as the filter is integral to the pan. There are aftermarket pans available with replaceable filters.

Do some searches, several members have write up on replacing the trans fluid and pans. The trans was built by man, it can be serviced and repaired by man.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to update this post, I have changed spark plugs with the OEM NGK plugs as recommended by the tech. It was due anyways since I’m at 100k. Nothing changed. It still shakes. Dealer told me to keep driving it until it gets bad enough to throw a code.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
803 Posts
Just to update this post, I have changed spark plugs with the OEM NGK plugs as recommended by the tech. It was due anyways since I’m at 100k. Nothing changed. It still shakes. Dealer told me to keep driving it until it gets bad enough to throw a code.
Sorry to hear of your issues. I am no help but will be following ! Thank You for updating us and WELCOME to the group

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had transmission shudder in a Jeep Wranger, the transmission repair man told me it was the torque converter bad. He replaced it for me and it fixed it. I am not saying that is what is wrong with yours but it did fix our Jeep.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone fixed this issue? I. In a small town where no one has heard of this issue and its cost me thousands with no answer as there is no code. But the studded described here us exactly what I'm dealing with
Thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
First post here, but I’m looking for some answers. I’ve got a 2014 Bighorn with the 8 speed transmission. At around 95k it started shuddering while shifting up in low gears, but only under moderate throttle. For example, if I’m taking off from a stoplight behind someone moseying along, it’ll shudder pretty bad from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and sometimes 3-4. Only shudders while shifting. Also, if I hammer the gas, it doesn’t shudder.

I took it in to the dealer at 95k and they reset the computer on the transmission so it would relearn my patterns. It never shuddered while learning, but shuddering started again once I drove it a bit. Took it in again at 100,084 miles. Actually, my wife took it in for me since I had to work. The tech felt the shudder again and said they would need to keep it to diagnose. I told my wife to ask about the diagnosis being under warranty since the issue started at 95k. The service manager wasn’t in that day to talk about warranty work, so they sent my wife on her way with the truck.

A few days later, I stop by the dealer and talk to the service manager. She says I need to open a case with Chrysler for them to decide if it can be covered under warranty, so I do.

To cut this story short and to get to my question: the dealership has had my truck for 3 weeks and have decided that the shudder is not a transmission issue, but possibly an engine timing issue. They’re going to try to diagnose it as an engine issue and get back to me.

They said they couldn’t tear down the transmission to diagnose the shudder as that’s not an option for the 8spd. Is that true? Is it really totally sealed and the only option is a replacement? Also, if that is true, how do they go about ruling out the transmission as the culprit, if they can’t open it up? Sounds weird to me, but I’m not a mechanic.

Also, could a timing issue cause a very specific issue like this that only happens when shifting under certain conditions?

I’m just looking for a second opinion from people that know more than me, but aren’t directly involved with this ordeal. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I have a 2014 Ram and at 133,000 miles it started shuddering in low gears. I was on a trip and by the time I got home it was doing it in all gears. I made an appointment with my Ram dealer. I explained the problem and left the truck with the dealer for repairs. Yes, I had been told that this 8 speed transmission is a non-serviceable unit. The dealer has run all kinds of test and can not pinpoint the problem. So they called Chrysler/Dodge for advice. You can guess what they said, Replace the Transmission with NO help from Chryster/Dodge. I see from this forum that problems have started at 95K miles to 150,000K miles. It looks to me that the average life expectancy of this 8 speed transmission is about 130,000 miles. So buyer BEWARE.
The estimated cost to replace the transmission is $5,000.00 to $6,000.00 dollars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2014 RAM 1500 5.7 hemi 8 spd 4 wd 130,000 it has the shudder going on thru most of the low shifts. If I get on it to get into traffic it doesn't do it.
One local shop said the trans are a full replacement, my question is how much money am i looking at? I see 5K-6K above and the 3600.
I would like to get it rebuilt with better stronger parts but doesn't sound like an option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm at 2250000Km or about 1400000mi on my 2013 Ram.

Got the shudders now.
Happens under downshift conditions when accelerating or climbing a hill. Starts around 1900rpm and lasts til about 2500rpm usually but can go to 3000+rpm.
Pulling a trailer or carrying a generator etc will make it happen more often. I too can give more gas and get out of the shakes quicker but at what cost if the trans is not shifting correctly?
It feels transmission related to me. How is the shift actuated in these transmissions, vacuum? Electronic?

Add it to the pile of issues I've had with this truck.
4x4 Transfer case replaced.
Got the dash flicker/blank-out issue too/still.

Shudder, flicker and frustration.

Anyone get positive results from any service?

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,866 Posts
The 8hp transmission needs fluid and a new pan/filter at 70-80k miles per ZF. Everyone complaining is well over that interval. 🤔

Your dealer is service/warranty support for FCA/Stellantis and their BS intervals on components they don’t even design and/or manufacture. Do your homework or ask the right questions if you want things to last out of factory contracts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I requested a full fluid change on the truck at 100000mi and was told that the transmission fluid and components were "lifetime" and fluid change for trans was not required and that they "don't service" the trans, they only replace as necessary.

I suppose I'm should to doubt the dealer service department when they say I don't need service too... Good point. Thanks for all the helpful comments.

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 5.7L Hemi - Leer Cap
3 Posts
Continuing the theme, recently purchased a '14 Ram 1500 Longhorn. The 8HP80 had no shudder at purchase. Shortly thereafter we drove it at the Silver Lake State Park dunes in MI. (Awesome!)

Immediately after airing up and hitting road, the very obvious shuddering began. Not short ones, but ones that lasted for 3-5 second, and occurred under the normal light acceleration 20-50 mph. Turned off the engine for a few minutes and did a visual. Hit the road again and the long shudders were gone replaced with 1-2 second shudders. Since our main driving on the trip was higher speeds, it didn't present any issue or even much distraction on the drive back to MD.

Once at home, the around town driving hits the sweet spot of the issue. I'm a marginal DIY guy. So I get the basics of the issue with research. I open the fill plug when not totally cool and fluid comes out. Like 52 oz. Then I add Studder Fixx. Then when cool, try to get as much new fluid back in as possible (not much). (I in no way followed the 3 page Ram procedures on checking the level.) Fluid was very dark green/black and opaque. Drove the car and the shudder is completely and immediately gone.

So I plan to have the dealer change the pan and fluid. At first they say they don't service them. Not surprising. Then I ask if they can (usually not good when you have to ask like that). Sure for $900. No thanks. Call my local transmission place that rebuilt an old F-150 transmission for me. Could very well be a torque converter issue but since it's not doing it we can't test. Recommend a fluid exchange and new pan, which is what I wanted. Will be like $400. No problem. Scheduled for next week. Will also provide pricing for rebuilt (if parts are available they do this as a normal procedure on the 8HP70), remanufactured or used, so I'll know if that is needed. Then just wait to see about reoccurrence. They did say that torque converter failures on this transmission usually damage a part of the transmission in their experience.

So the extended plan is see how it holds up. If it occurs again, take it back for evaluation. If it stays good, continue with a more frequent preventative fluid exchange schedule of say 30-40K. And if it needs replaced, evaluate my options. But I'll get it fixed as the truck is otherwise quite good.

I do believe the Stellantis does manufacture this transmission under license from ZF, and market it as the Chrysler TorqueFlight 8, if this source is to be believed. ZF 8HP70 Transmission Problems & Specs

Though I'm not certain it is used in the Ram. My build sheet states 8-Spd Auto 8HP70 Trans (Buy) as the transmission. I wonder if the "buy" is as opposed to build, which may list 850RE.
Torqueflite 8 - Wikipedia

None of the manufacture/purchase issue has a bearing, except that not having a dipstick design is beyond me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I brought mine to a local mechanic

Thanks!

Thanks!
Took mine to local mechanic and changed my torque converter and fixed my problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts