DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
34,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as I alluded into my earlier post after finagling my truck into the garage (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=235162) I decided to change my transmission fluid today. Video I found helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNo9Ln5KrOE

I basically just followed his instructions

So it starts pretty simple. I had all the tools I needed (T40 torx for the pan bolts, 8mm hex for the fill plug), the parts (transmission pan and Lifeguard 8/Mopar 8&9 speed fluid. I actually didn't have a 10mm hex for the drain plug but it was blocked by the Y pipe anyway so I dropped the pan like the guy in the YouTube video did.

Started out by taking out the fill plug; good grief that thing was on tight! I was using an 8mm box wrench around an 8mm drive socket because the ratchet made it too long and tried turning it, that didn't work, so I tried a Hammer. Then I ended up just forcing it with my hands when that didn't work-pushing up from the ground. By the time it broke loose I thought I had snapped my wrench. OK, got it out and it started puking fluid which was fine because I had my drain pan ready.

Next it as time for the pan bolts. They aren't super tight and are easy to get off, except for one of them-which is also right above the Y-pipe:doh: I had to use a box wrench to turn my T40 bit to get it off (and back on) talk about slow going. Loosen the bolts from one end of the pan at a time so the fluid spills out in a controlled manner. I didn't spill a drop. Pull out the pan and you have this here

Mmmm, look at that valve body. Cleaned the mating surface of the gasket and ran a bead of fluid around the new gasket (I guess you're supposed to do that like with an oil filter). Stop to admire the old filter:

And the magnets (Was a little surprised how much fuzz there was, but not really any floating around the fluid so that's good).

After the fuzz was scraped off:

There is a torque sequence you need to follow, I found it on another forum but can't link to it here; just Google 8HP70 torque sequence and it should come up on a BMW board.

Then it took about 3 quarts of fluid before it started to run out of the hole, fired it up and ran it through the gears, and it took two more.

Then I let the trans cool back down to about 100*F and opened the fill plug, fired up the truck, filled it till it dribbled, and put the plug in for good. I will let y'all know how the test drive goes.

I'd like to thank ArmyofOne for beating me to 66,000 miles in his 2 year newer truck and doing this before me:LOL:. I figured I'd be a forerunner of the 8 speed transmission fluid changes since I got a very early one. Apparently I don't drive enough though so Army had his review to put my mind at ease when I was doing this.

Please let me know if y'all have any questions; FWIW I just dropped the pan, replaced it and filled it. I do not believe in flushes so I didn't do one. Took right about 5 quarts, so buy six to be on the safe side.

· Registered
713 Posts
That's all I've ever done with my 05 with 545 RFE. Too bad Mag Hytec doesn't offer a pan for the 8 speed. I's normal to get a lot of fuzz on the magnets on the first change. Next will be much less, I think you'll find. I always use the Mopar fluid, 255,000 hard miles, nary an issue. Hope your 8 speed gives you similar service!

Reactions: Thunderhorse

· Premium Member
34,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's all I've ever done with my 05 with 545 RFE. Too bad Mag Hytec doesn't offer a pan for the 8 speed. I's normal to get a lot of fuzz on the magnets on the first change. Next will be much less, I think you'll find. I always use the Mopar fluid, 255,000 hard miles, nary an issue. Hope your 8 speed gives you similar service!
Thanks!

Well, the test drive confirms no leaks (I hooned it a bit after getting everything up to temp), no low fluid light and no abnormal temperatures. She ran through the gears as usual; I'd say she's ready for another flawless 70,000 miles :smileup:

FWIW The cost of the fluid and pan were about $355.00 combined compared to ~$1,000 I have heard horror stories of. Getting the fluid for $12.50/quart sure helps that

· Registered
5,831 Posts
Good god that is one HELL of a complicated valve body! Nice work man!

Did you use brake clean to make the pan perfectly clean? I always like doing that so that there is no old fluid or material left, some people hit the valve body too and allow it to fully evaporate before refilling.

· Premium Member
109 Posts
Nice work man! Thanks for passing on the info and the pics.

· Registered
808 Posts
I've got about 85k kms till I do mine but I'm sure I'll be looking back on this thread when it does come time to do it. Thanks for the write up.

Also did you use a factory pan or that aftermarket one I've heard about with the replaceable filter?

· Premium Member
34,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got about 85k kms till I do mine but I'm sure I'll be looking back on this thread when it does come time to do it. Thanks for the write up.

Also did you use a factory pan or that aftermarket one I've heard about with the replaceable filter?
I used the factory pan. Army had an issue with his ATP one where it was designed for an 8HP45 and the valve bpdy on his 8HP70 cracked the pan and he had to replace it. Also I looked at the PPE pan but they don't seem to actually sell the replacement filters and I wasn't sure about the Y pipe clearance.

Good god that is one HELL of a complicated valve body! Nice work man!

Did you use brake clean to make the pan perfectly clean? I always like doing that so that there is no old fluid or material left, some people hit the valve body too and allow it to fully evaporate before refilling.
I wiped the pan down with a clean dry rag, but I didn't use brake clean. Didn't want to contaminate anything or something. I did dab off the valve body a bit

My 17 say I do not have to change the fluid, any thoughts?
According to a Chrysler tech pub that was circulating a couple years ago the "lifetime fill" means 100,000 miles. The manual does state if you tow and stuff to change more often. ZF states between 60,000 and 80,000 miles IIRC; I am certainly willing to listen to the company that designed the transmission's recommendation

· Registered
3,572 Posts
Great. Now I know, for a fluid change I will make a trip to NC. I will set my camper up in the front yard, drink a cold one and watch tv while my oil gets changed. can't beat that.

Great Job- I would had probably forgot to make pictures somewhere in between.

· Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,446 Posts
So honestly did the fluid look bad? Nothing has broken on my truck at 63k miles so far and my driving is very light duty / street. I have this lifetime warranty so I wonder if it will be cover without a change down the road.
I also have the lifetime max care warranty. As long as the factory recommended maintenance is performed yes you will be covered. I believe haven't looked in awhile that FCA says no trans fluid change needed.

· Premium Member
34,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also have the lifetime max care warranty. As long as the factory recommended maintenance is performed yes you will be covered. I believe haven't looked in awhile that FCA says no trans fluid change needed.
It still says to change it if "used for frequent towing."

Here are pics of some of the fluid:

As you can see it is a bit dark, darker than I expected, but still with its greenish tinge and somewhat opaque. It does not smell burnt or have particles in it and it flows freely. I will be sticking with a 60,000-70,000 mile interval as this change has reaffirmed to me that it is a good time to do it.

· Premium Member
34,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, in the interest of context, here are some pics of virgin Mopar 8&9 speed fluid:

· Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,446 Posts
It still says to change it if "used for frequent towing."

Here are pics of some of the fluid:

As you can see it is a bit dark, darker than I expected, but still with its greenish tinge and somewhat opaque. It does not smell burnt or have particles in it and it flows freely. I will be sticking with a 60,000-70,000 mile interval as this change has reaffirmed to me that it is a good time to do it.
It def. got darker. I agree I'll change mine not sure if I should go with mileage or time as I won't hit 60k until about 10 years. I'm thinking change it at 5 years I'll have to do more research and talk with the tech at the dealership I know.

· Premium Member
34,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
4,622 Posts
Yes indeed, thanks for taking the time to post this. Seeing the actual transmission fluid is not something most will ever get to see. Thinking I'll go the same route when get to that mileage. It seems like a no-brainer to me.

· Registered
3,572 Posts
It def. got darker. I agree I'll change mine not sure if I should go with mileage or time as I won't hit 60k until about 10 years. I'm thinking change it at 5 years I'll have to do more research and talk with the tech at the dealership I know.

I hope you didn't drink that...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.