DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need some general info on this. I will be getting a donor motor from an 89 Jeep Wagoneer that has the 360. The Ram originally had the 318. Other than that my biggest concern is if the trans from the Ram will bolt up to the 360. Don't know a whole helluva lot about these trucks, but Im slowly learning. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
From what I've heard on here, you can bolt everything up as-is, but I haven't done it myself. Even the computer is the same, you just need the programming, which a dealership/good shop can do for you. You may need a new bellhousing, but hopefully one of our tech guys can chime in more on this

·
Registered
12 Posts
formwhat i know, everything should bolt right up. my truck originally had the 318 and a 360 was swapped in back in 94. i dont know much about the swap or even who did it, but i dont think there were many complications alonbg those lines.... dont hold me to it though just putting in my two cents

·
Registered
183 Posts
I believe the torque convertor is different on a 360 from a 318.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
its a Mopar 360 and not an AMC 360, right? You did say it was from a Jeep Wagoneer, so, they're a lot different if it is indeed an AMC motor.

As long as its a Mopar 360, it'll bolt up. As said, the torque converters are different, but, everything else is basically the same.

But, since you're Ram is an 87, I believe they had computers. My dad had whatever the first year for a computer was, and he swapped a 360 in, and, it ran good, but, it never ran right. The computer would always try and mess everything up...and it was carburated...lol Must mess with the timing or something.

So...as long as you have no computer, or you eliminate it, it should be a direct bolt in procedure. The engine is essentially the same (once again, assuming this is a Mopar 360).

But, make sure you find out if its a Chrysler engine or a AMC engine before you start anything.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Did you figure out if its an AMC or Mopar 360?

·
Registered
49 Posts
first year of fuel injection for the trucks was 1988 and yes 318s are internally balanced and 360s are balanced with both torque converter and harmonic balancer, so if you ever decide build a hi-po balanced 360 you need to knock the weight off the torque converter and use a 318 balancer (saves screwing around with pulleys if fluid damper is used)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts