DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so on my truck, I think i might of blew a fuse but when I turn my head lights on my left turn signal stays solid, and none of my gauges except for my speedometer and my gauge cluster doesnt light up, I remember I popped a fuse when I was changing out the stereo :doh: but I dunno if all this is caused by a fuse or something much worse anybody have any insight ? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Tail lights and instrument cluster lights are on the same fuse. That way you know when your tail lights are out.....no gauge lights. However, having one tail light on constantly sounds like more than just a fuse. Sounds like you mighta fried something, or crossed a wire in that stereo hookup. Check yout tail light fuse and replace if needed, and work from there. If it's blown, after you replace, keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't blow again. That can indicate a short somewhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man ! ill have to trace it all down today

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I'm thinking that he may have mis-wired the auto dim feature on most newer head units.

I believe that it's an orange wire that is wired to the dash circuit or ashtray light to dim the head unit when the headlights are turned on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so now my truck is starting to confuse me even more, Now unless I disconnect the battery the minute I shut the truck off itll drain the battery within 15 minutes, and I still cant figure out why my cluster isnt lighting up or my brights arent working Im losing my mind over this one since I seriously hate driving at night without being able to see my speedo anybody have an idea where i could start ? My buddies brother said to check the voltage regulator and the ignition switch ? I dunno the electrical on this truck is just goofy

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I'm thinking that he may have mis-wired the auto dim feature on most newer head units.

I believe that it's an orange wire that is wired to the dash circuit or ashtray light to dim the head unit when the headlights are turned on.
I love question and no answer posts!

Okay how about this? Did you start having these problems when you put the new head unit in?

See if that gets me anywhere. (Meanwhile back at the ranch another problem pops up)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it happened when my buddy took out my stereo and something grounded and blew the fuse for the gauge lights, then when i put a new fuse in it nothing happened the cluster stayed dark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok well i capped off the wires from the stereo, had the alternator tested, put a new battery in the truck and its still draining the battery, what should i check next ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts