DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 89 d150 and am swapping the transmission problem and question I have is my truck has I belive a 4 speed automatic with overdrive and the transmission is bulky the one I ordered for replacment the seller said would bolt right up when I received it compared to what's in there already this one looks like a skinny armed little thing and as if i was to put anything on it it would snap what's the deal will it still bolt up

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
If it is not the same I would not put it in and return it to the seller and ask for an exact replacement. Why not just take it out and have it rebuilt?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have a 89 d150 and am swapping the transmission problem and question I have is my truck has I belive a 4 speed automatic with overdrive and the transmission is bulky the one I ordered for replacment the seller said would bolt right up when I received it compared to what's in there already this one looks like a skinny armed little thing and as if i was to put anything on it it would snap what's the deal will it still bolt up
Sounds like they sent you the 3 speed that was also available that year. They are legendary, and strong, especially the 727's, but while it's pretty much a bolt-in deal, there are differences. Driveshaft length is different. You'd be losing overdrive, and is it a 904/998/999 series or 727? They could've sent you a 904 for a 1960's Valiant! If a 727, you wouldn't even have a lockup torque converter. Best to stay with the OD that came in the truck.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Trans engineer is a member here , he’s very knowledgable and can probably set you straight , try reaching out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts