DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck wont start, turn key first time ..no cranking only lights , second time same , maybe 3rd time starter try to engage for second , 4th time only lights ,maybe 5th time truck start if Im lucky
Thing is this problem has been getting progressively worse over the course of a few months ,
Not the battery , put new one and it did same thing (did clean up all cables and connections while I was at it)
Ive tried looking for voltage regulator thinking that might be it but cant seem to find it, not on fire wall or on alternator..
battery is holding charge overnight and there are no draws on current..
12.6 volts are getting to the starter directly from the hot wire to the battery
Im baffeled :i_rolleyes: , any insight would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Could be the starter as Slither mentioned. You can have it checked. There are a couple other things. There's the starter switch in the steering column, that might be failing, but they tend to be very long-lived, so not my first choice. There's the starter relay on the driver side inner fender. There are a couple other relays there too, but if you've never changed it, it's possibly the original, and they DO fail eventually, but will occasionally hit and allow the starter to bump, that is to say, they seldom just die suddenly. I'd go for that first. It's easy (literally a 5 minute swap) and cheap, and even if it's not the problem, unless you're sure, probably very tired as well. BTW, the voltage reg is in the computer on those models. Not serviceable. Voltage reg failure has been the primary reason I ever had to replace the computer on my old '90. Only once was it an actual computer failure.I've had, IIRC, 4 computers in that truck. I'm now in a '91, and the '90 is a great parts backup truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so I went and got a new starter relay even before I read these posts ,
I had pulled the old one out and was able to start the truck by jumping the brown and red wires inside the plug ..after a few tries,
so I thought that was the problem, buuutttt after picking up new relay at oreilly's yesterday and plugging in , nothing .. not even any clicking from the starter(?) trying to engage...
soo I can start with hood up and the key turned to the fully on position by jumping the wires where the starter relay plugs in but with new starter relay plugged in nothing ,no clicking or anything
(PS I did check for continuity inside the relay new and old by putting meter leads on and both registered as good..so now Im not sure if that was original prob)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Before you start tearing out the starter switch, try this. Unplug the neutral start safety switch. It's a 3-wire round plug on the lower driver side of the transmission. Try to start. In my whole life I have only seen 1 fail, and we had a mopar in the family since I was a year old, but it's always a chance. If the started acts normally with connector unplugged, there ya go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before you start tearing out the starter switch, try this. Unplug the neutral start safety switch. It's a 3-wire round plug on the lower driver side of the transmission. Try to start. In my whole life I have only seen 1 fail, and we had a mopar in the family since I was a year old, but it's always a chance. If the started acts normally with connector unplugged, there ya go.
good thought ..but no luck headed into starter switch , really appreciate the tips your giving me by the way :smileup:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If the NSS is good when you jump the relay you supply power to the solenoid. The solenoid may engage but not crank the motor. This is usually the issues with starters when the contacts in the starter get worn and don't make a connection. You can replace them instead of the whole starter if that's you issue. If you have meter check voltage on the wire going to the solenoid when you start it. If it's 12v or real close then your issue is the starter. Here is a pic to help you understand what's going on in the starter.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Yeah, I don't want to sound like I'm steering away from a bad starter. Could very well be that. I've seen a hot setup with big battery and all other stuff in top form, and the starter would just bump and nothing more. The person trying to start it got frustrated, and just held the key full on. Wasn't long before it started smoking. If the starter is done, it's just done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the NSS is good when you jump the relay you supply power to the solenoid. The solenoid may engage but not crank the motor. This is usually the issues with starters when the contacts in the starter get worn and don't make a connection. You can replace them instead of the whole starter if that's you issue. If you have meter check voltage on the wire going to the solenoid when you start it. If it's 12v or real close then your issue is the starter. Here is a pic to help you understand what's going on in the stater
The thing is starts right up when i jumper the wires at the relay..if it was the starter it wouldnt start at all right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts