DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, can you safely run 91 non ethanol gas through a 2019-2022 Ram 1500 with regular HEMI motor? Thank you

·
Registered
2021 2500 Bighorn CC Diesel Olive Green Pearl
20 Posts
I used to in my 2017 from time to time. Never really saw or felt an advantage.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
2,115 Posts
Waste of money since your factory tune is only capable of safely advancing timing to make maximum power on 89 octane.

Removing 10%(estimated and usually minimum) of ethanol, especially winter blend to lower freezing point, will improve fuel mileage due to more efficient burn from pure gas.

Will 91E0 work, absolutely...

·
Registered
218 Posts
^^^ What 14vern said.

The HEMI is rated to run up to 15% ethanol. That means you are good to go with "pure" gas. (y)

From what I understand the sensors will pick up on it and adjust the computer (and possibly throw codes) as it is mostly for the fuel system not being rated for that much "corn" (non-petroleum based fuel). My last truck was a diesel that was only rated for B5 (5% bio diesel) as too much more and the biodiesel would eat through the fuel lines and gum up the fuel filter and injectors.

Most stations around me have stickers that say "up to" 10% ethanol. With all the computer controls, monitoring, and complexity of the systems nowadays I heed the Owner's Manual a lot more than I used to. You will get plenty of differing opinions but I only pump (at least) 89 octane from a Top Tier gas station.

Just my .02

From the owner's manual:

Font Screenshot Document Number Parallel

Font Document Screenshot Parallel Symmetry

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have about 100 gallons of 91 non ethanol gas I need to use up before it goes bad. I was going to mix in 10 or so gallons every fill up. Is it OK to mix with 87 octane from the pump like this? Figured it wouldn't hurt anything, but wanted to ask.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I only run non ethanol 90 octane in my truck (2017 hemi). There are enough stations that carry it around me now. One station only has 87 octane but it is still non ethanol.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have about 100 gallons of 91 non ethanol gas I need to use up before it goes bad. I was going to mix in 10 or so gallons every fill up. Is it OK to mix with 87 octane from the pump like this? Figured it wouldn't hurt anything, but wanted to ask.
No problem at all. You can just pump it in and use it without mixing if you want.

I only run non ethanol 90 octane in my truck (2017 hemi). There are enough stations that carry it around me now. One station only has 87 octane but it is still non ethanol.
I wish there were non-ethanol fuel stations around me. There's one but it's a drive to get to it so it's not worth it to take 1/2 day every weekend to go fill up. I put more stock into the Top Tier standard than non-ethanol...at least at the 10% level.

CA does not have any mandatory ethanol legislation but the easiest way to meet the Low Carbon Fuel Standards (LCFS) set by CA is to up the amount of ethanol in each gallon of fuel. We've gone from "pure" gas in the 80's, to ~5% ethanol in the 90's to meet EPA's Clean Air Act, now we're adding more ("up to" 10%) for even lower carbon.

The sad part is that a denaturant is added to ethanol so that people can't drink it :oops:(people will do just about anything). Luckily that has some energy in it to burn so you only lose about 3% with E10 compared to using E0. I can live with that as long as I fill up at Top Tier stations. E85, though, is another story. You lose around 30% fuel economy if my calculations are correct. I've never had an E85 vehicle so can't attest to any actual numbers, only that it's a lot cheaper at the pump that the other ones (but you have to fill up more often).

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
2,115 Posts
In a longtube header, big cam/heads engine mine loses 50+ horsepower(crank) in timing advance going from 91E0-93 tune to 87E10. Under the curve torque suffers even more.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ethanol added to gasoline was a great way to further enrich the folks at Archer Daniels Midland and these billionaires need all the money we can give them. Ethanol is best avoided altogether. Ethanol blends do result in a significant decrease in fuel economy of from 15-20 percent depending on the vehicle.

In terms of octane rating it is nothing more than a measure of the fuel's resistance to pre-ignition which the computers in today's vehicles deal with by adjusting the amount of spark advance. Too low and octane (per manufacturer's specificaitons) and the spark is retarded and fuel economy and power decrease. A higher than required octane rated fuel is burning money as no gain in power and no gain in fuel economy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, can you safely run 91 non ethanol gas through a 2019-2022 Ram 1500 with regular HEMI motor? Thank you
My 2014 V6 was rated for it, but I landed up getting half the gas mileage I got with regular gas. I stopped using it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts