DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of doing an intake swap and changing my 94' magnum to a carbureted 318. It is a short cab short box. Runs great just want a little more. Suggestions????? I now live a non emissions regulated State, And wanna sow my oats a bit.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Once you bypass the system, you're gonna lose instruments etc. It's all tied in with the computer. It can be done, but it's more than just bolting on a carb.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have wondered about using an externally mounted TPS on a carb setup. Plug the MAP sensor in at an appropriate spot on the carb, and whatever other sensors need attention, mount on the intake manifold. Demon carbs even has a optional TPS for that purpose. They say it's for the GM transmissions, but can also be used for data collection, so why wouldn't something like that work here? The modern carbs are so damned good, you'd have to really try hard to make a bad choice. The Edelbrocks are super for outta the box bolt-ons. A little tweaking will optimize the tuning, but they're pretty close to begin with. The metering rods make it easy. For intake mannys, the easiest solution, and pretty much to only one still available is the Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap for Magnum. There are still some Mopar Perf M1's out there, but they tend to be single plane and not the best for street driving (I'm referring to the M1 for carb/Magnum), and they're pricey. You can go with an external regulator if you ditch the computer. Gauges and AC won't work. You'd need a workaround.There are ways to make the RH trans work without computer as well. Ignition, ditto. You'd probably lose ABS too, which is why the external TPS is interesting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found a donor truck with a 5 9 and a perfectly unrusted cab. So I'm going to an engine swap whenever I swap my cab and see if I like that horsepower better thanks guys all very knowledgeable answers very helpful. I'll keep you posted

1 - 5 of 5 Posts