DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! First time poster here. Trying to get a second opinion on my older 2nd gen Ram.

My truck has had intermittent stalling/starting problems since the first week of December. The problem only seems to present itself after driving for awhile and then when I come to a stop or slow down and need to accelerate. The issue does not seem to be a problem from a cold start or similar.

After driving for awhile (about enough to get up to reg operating temps) if I need to stop and restart my engine, my truck will have a long crank and a hard start. It seems to idle just fine after starting and cruises at speed without any issues. However after I start it and give it gas, the RPMs will bottom out and either stall my engine, or try to shoot back up and recover. Stalling is more likely though. When this happens, I usually keep at it until it finally starts and operates as normal. Sometimes if I stop at a light or a stop sign and then go, the RPMs will do the same thing but I haven't stalled on the road yet.

I took it to a mechanic early in December, and they replaced my Cat, IAC, and TPS. Personally, I think this shop was ripping me off based on their lack of communication and inability to fix the problem so I decided to see what I could do myself.

I replaced the fuel pump assembly and drove around my block a few times. It only stalled once when I turned in my driveway then reversed to go around again. However, after going to get groceries last week I stalled out at the gas pump. It was the same symptoms and I was able to get it going after a few starts (it seems to get back to normal operation when I pump or push the gas pedal a little harder).

The problem doesn't seem to be happening as frequently as it did, but it still happens.

I'm checking the ASD and FP relays when their replacements get in today, but I'm not confident that is issue.

I'm considering the replacing the crankshaft sensor. I've heard that the CPS can cause intermittent starting and stalling problems when the engine heats up to hot temps.

Anybody else have experience with this kind of problem? I've heard that these kinds of problems can be difficult to nail down.

Thank you in advance!

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
O2 sensors can also cause this problem. The fact that it doesn't do it cold (when in open loop operation) just reinforces that theory.

·
Registered
709 Posts
My old man experienced a stalling symptom once the truck got warmed up. We replaced the CPS and it went away.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Do you mean crank position or cam position? Yes, an old sensor can cause problems without setting codes. If you do decide to go this route, I would suggest replacing both sensors and then performing a battery disconnect to reset the adaptive memory.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
With older NGC systems, the sensors share a common 5V reference and common ground, so a problem with one can appear to be a problem with the other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts