DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
96 Dodge Ram 1500 long bed v6 2wd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought the truck from a guy who got it at an auction and said he didn’t know what it needed besides a clutch master cylinder/slave cylinder cause the clutch pedal wasn’t working. (Those parts are in the mail) I looked under the truck and noticed the rear driveshaft wasn’t there, looked in the bed (there was junk in there) and it had the driveshaft but it was missing u joint caps, so I replaced both u joints on this thing, lifted it up so I could rotate the tires, which rotated the yoke that allowed me to install the driveshaft. Now the truck won’t roll. Pretty sure the shift knob is in neutral (even though the clutch pedal isn’t attached) tried to spin it by hand, removed the driveshaft again and tried to spin it closer to the transmission. Any idea what could be going on?

· Registered
85 Posts
Need more information about the vehicle. If the transmission is in neutral (and is not broken or seized) then you should be able to rotate the driveshaft. Is it 4x4, and if so is the transfer case in 2wd?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put the driveshaft back in. Made sure the shifter is in neutral and tried rolling it. It lurched forwarded about how far it would if it was in gear. Then it wouldn’t roll. One thing I noticed is that with the driveshaft out I could put the shifter in all gears, but when I put it in I couldn’t get it in first gear

· Banned
1,732 Posts
Sounds like this truck was pieced together for auction, I would start at the front end and look over everything, anything might have been done over the last 20 plus years . It’s one thing if it’s running to fix it , but entirely different with a project with who now’s what for parts to start with .

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mechanic friend came over and we spun engine from the belt and the driveshaft spun. So he said it’s in gear. He said to install the clutch master/ pedal parts and see if it will go in neutral. He didn’t have a lot of time to look at it cause he was doing a project at home. So, engine turns (I saw it run), rear diff yoke turns, but transmission is not in neutral

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All the clutch master cylinder parts kit came in today so I’ll put that in. Earlier today I was just messing with the shifter before I had to get ready for work. I took off the covers until there was basically a hole and you can see into the transmission. It didn’t smell that good to me, maybe a burnt smell. And it was just a pretty big mess, looked like someone was down there before. I was able to get it in what should be neutral from what I could reach inside the cab. Now if it actually changed the gears inside the transmission I’m not sure, I still couldn’t get it to roll or the driveshaft to spin. I’ll get pictures and see how it reacts to having the clutch pedal fixed

· Registered
231 Posts
Sounds like that trucks been to a lot of shadetree trailer park mechanic work jobs. Better look it over real good. This is what happens when folk get beers in them and think they can fix anything-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.