DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i got a 96 ram with the 5.9l in it. It will start great and idle fine forever but as soon as i try to drive it it misses like crazy. did a tune up with plugs and wires and such and still doing it. only clears up and runs if i run it wide open..right to the floor. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hmmmm

If it's fuel injected, and I think it is, right? it could be the throttle position sensor is bad. The problem with these new trucks is there are a lot of sensors that can screw things up. Is it throwing any codes?:4-dontknow:

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
Try this before anything else. Disconnect the pos side of the battery. Turn the key to start, and then back off. Re-hook the battery terminal. Do Not Check The Codes, and take it around the block. After doing that get back with the results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My S10 used to do about the same thing. It would cough and sputter, gauges looked like they were possessed, then it would backfire and die. My battery terminals were bad about corroding, so I would take the leads off and clean them up good. Then I would start it back up and it ran fine....until they corroded again. Sounded like it was too easy of a fix, but it sure worked for me. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry it took a while to get back. yeah checked my tps..thats good. no codes. tried the disconnect of the pos battery cable and turn to start..hooked back up and did the same thing. I did replace my battery terminals not long ago and that cleared it up for a week then i flushed my heater core and that soaked the engine and went right back to doing it but worse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thank you cuz i still havent figured it out haha....could it be the crank or cam sensor and how would i check them? dont want to start just changing sensors cuz that will cost me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts