DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Ram with 185xxx and it shifts wierd into 2nd gear. It like cant find 2nd gear and revs up a little bit until it finds 2nd gear then shifts. It shifts fine into 3rd and 4th(OD). Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have a 96 Ram with 185xxx and it shifts wierd into 2nd gear. It like cant find 2nd gear and revs up a little bit until it finds 2nd gear then shifts. It shifts fine into 3rd and 4th(OD). Any ideas?
Thanks!
Other then checking the fluid level and condition have you adjusted the kickdown band. It is used in 2nd gear engagement and the band needs to be adjusted every 12K miles if you tow or every 30K if you don't. Report back to me on your findings.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Ramvan,
The kickdown band, is that the adjustment on the outside of the tranny case or the one that you have to remove the pan to get to?

Thanks
Robb
The kickdown band adjuster is located outside of the case on the driver side, the reverse band adjuster is located inside the transmission. You don't have to adjust the reverse band as often as the kickdown band because you only use the reverse band in manual 1st gear and reverse and those gears are rarely used. The kickdown is used in the 2nd gear manual and 2nd gear drive range.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Yep ur right had rh on the mind but she is def an re,,,, thanks
Yea not a problem, if you need any extra help just ask I'm always here.

I prefer the RH over the RE because of reliability no computer in the RH. However the benefit of an RE over an RH is that measuring shift points and such are much easier since you can connect a scan tool to the vehicle and monitor the transmission, where with the RH you cannot do didly squat. Of course scan tool isn't going to tell you if your clutch pack is burned out but atleast you get sensor readings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have a 96 ram 1500 and mine was doing the same thing, it would shift from 1st to 2nd fine, from 2nd to 3rd it didnt want to do it unless i let off the gas and then push back on the gas and it would shift into 3rd, the problem was is that the tranny has to have a vac pluse and i had a miss fire in one of my cylinders due to a bad valve, is your check engine light on if so scan it and find out what the codes are

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
i have a 96 ram 1500 and mine was doing the same thing, it would shift from 1st to 2nd fine, from 2nd to 3rd it didnt want to do it unless i let off the gas and then push back on the gas and it would shift into 3rd, the problem was is that the tranny has to have a vac pluse and i had a miss fire in one of my cylinders due to a bad valve, is your check engine light on if so scan it and find out what the codes are
The delayed 2-3 shift or no 2-3 shift is actually a result of the inner lip seal of the direct clutch drum. During the manufacture of a majority of A518s 46RH/RE chrysler accidentally over-machined to grove for this lip seal and so the lip seal wasn't always sealing 100%, many aftermarket kits include a replacement seal which has a base size that is .03" thicker to compensate for this machine error, a majority of the transmissions were affected, even mine was effected and the only way I knew it other then after rebuilding it but before I use to floor it from a stand still and it wouldn't want to shift into 3rd unless I let go of the gas and then hit the gas again. After I rebuilt the transmission and installed the updated seal the machine shifts like a dream matter fact it shifts faster through all gears, less then 500ms shift timing. This lip seal can also affect the reverse gear operation, usually it's reverse gear slipping, in extreme cases you will completely loose reverse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Update help needed

After taking this thing for a ride we have found the shift from 1st to second is ok, It is the shift between 2nd and 3rd that the spike in RPM happens.

I adjusted the exterior shift band. Changed filter, and have not done a complete fluid change yet, but it doesnt smell burnt or look bad....

Do I need to adjust the band inside the tranny? it is the selenoid inside? I would really like to get this fixed.

THanks for any and all help!!

Robb

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
After taking this thing for a ride we have found the shift from 1st to second is ok, It is the shift between 2nd and 3rd that the spike in RPM happens.

I adjusted the exterior shift band. Changed filter, and have not done a complete fluid change yet, but it doesnt smell burnt or look bad....

Do I need to adjust the band inside the tranny? it is the selenoid inside? I would really like to get this fixed.

THanks for any and all help!!

Robb
From what you just told me I hate to tell you this but you're going to have to rebuild a portion of the transmission to correct the 2-3 shift issue.

The front band is for the 1-2 shift, the rear band is for reverse and manual 1st gear.
A delayed or no 2-3 shift is caused by a leaky direct clutch piston, inside the direct drum. When Chrysler was making these torque flites they accidentally over-machined the grove that the inner lip seal falls into, many rebuild kits have 2 inner lips seals one is the standard size for models that were not effected by this defect and an updated seal that is .03" larger at the base to compensate for the transmissions that were affected by this defect. Anything that causes a 2-3 shift issue is going to almost always require you to take the transmission apart. Many torque flites were affected by this defect even my 46RH from 1995. This defect is how dodge became known to have transmission problems, because all their torque flites used the same internal components even dating back to the 1960's. And because of that a majority of the torque flites made in the 90'2 and early 00's used the same drums so a majority of them got the defective drum.

All you have to do is buy the updated lip seal, sonnax sells and they're not expensive like 69 cents practically. But you will also need to replace the pump to bell housing gasket another 69 cents and you will have to of course remove the transmission, But once this seal is replaced everything should return to normal and you will have a firmer 2-3 shift with no slip. Also the inner lip seal is for reverse gear so if you do have a lip seal problem you should have a issue with reverse usually slipping or no reverse gear at all. It's difficult to actually diagnose the reverse slipping because we drive in reverse very slow so the pressure is able to maintain itself in the direct clutch piston.

You're better off just buying a overhaul kit for 60 bucks and go in and replace all the gaskets and seals. I bet the lip seals in your transmission have hardened like mine and many other peoples transmissions. You don't need any special tools and all you need to have is basic hands on knowledge not even. If you need help with anything I am always here to answer questions and help you answer questions during a rebuild.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thats what I was afraid of....I do have tools and some mechanical ability. It would not be the first time I dropped a tranny out of a truck that is for sure, Generally how hard is it to just do a complete rebuild/overhaul? Does it take special tools? If I take it out I would just as soon as overhaul/rebuild it so we can count on it lasting a little while more.
The truck is in ok condition and engine runs perfect. Only leak is the front tranny pump seal which is not bad at all, just the only leak.
ANyway I appreciate the help and Depending on what feedback you have on the re-build will depend on whether or not I tackle that or just look for a decent place to rebuild this unit.

THanks again,
Robb

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thats what I was afraid of....I do have tools and some mechanical ability. It would not be the first time I dropped a tranny out of a truck that is for sure, Generally how hard is it to just do a complete rebuild/overhaul? Does it take special tools? If I take it out I would just as soon as overhaul/rebuild it so we can count on it lasting a little while more.
The truck is in ok condition and engine runs perfect. Only leak is the front tranny pump seal which is not bad at all, just the only leak.
ANyway I appreciate the help and Depending on what feedback you have on the re-build will depend on whether or not I tackle that or just look for a decent place to rebuild this unit.

THanks again,
Robb
Taking the transmission and replacing all the seals is very easy and it only requires basic shop tools that you can get at your local sears, the only out of ordinary tools you need are snap ring pliers, lock ring pliers, and a set of O-Ring picks oh and an 8" C-Clamp. These are the only special tools to do a full gasket and seal replacement, a basic overhaul. Now if you were to rebuild the transmission piece by piece then you would need to have a shop press to remove the OD Direct Clutch Spring, but to do an overhaul you won't need to remove the spring because their aren't any seals in the OD Direct Clutch.
Oh you will also need petroleum jelly to lube the seals, it's also helpful at keeping everything together while you assemble the pieces.

An overhaul kit cost about 59 dollars from makco trans parts, they sell transtec which is what I use and prefer, their kits have very high quality parts, the only seal that you need which isn't included in the kit is a extension housing slip yoke seal for RWD vehicles, you can pick up this seal at autozone for 7 dollars.

The overhaul kits contains every seal and gasket and the filter screen for the governor and the valve body.

If the frictions and steels in the transmission aren't worn badly then you can pop this overhaul kit in their and get thousands of miles more off the transmission, most of the time when these transmissions fail it's because the seals have hardened and most time the transmission will slip thus burning out the clutch pack, many people will continue to drive the vehicle even though it slips and they will cause more harm then good.

So I think you should just buy an overhaul kit and replace every last seal and gasket you can. If take this route, I am here to guide you with performing the task.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow I read this and now i completely confused

My 1995 Vam b2500 have same problem as some of u describe.Im not mechanic nor got lot of money to rebuild tranny. Just got van a 2 weeks ago for 1000$ on auction and it was not driven for 5 years. First day after Registration my all four tires blow up on me. Went and got used tires so i can bring van home.
Tranny was shifting good for first 2 days and after that it will go true first and second gear like a champ but to get in third gear it takes some times up to 2 miles.
Went to transmission service change oil and filter and now it still doing.No clue why. Engine oil was like a syrup for pancakes when i change it.Now engine smoke like crazy when i start.
Also Valve Gaskets where dripping oil so went and got new gaskets carb filter replace all that. Spark plugs distributor head and cables to.
But tranny is main thing that's driving me nuts. I order shift solenoid so i can change that but now i read that i could be something else like governed pressure solenoid. Van has only 97000 miles and it was driven by older lady who sold van at auction. Excellent condition inside and out,tv is was not working so i trow him out and going to replace with 19 inch LED 12V tv with PS3 and Custom Head unit. Also seats are leather and no tear on cracks on them.
So my point now is what a heck is wrong with deam transmission. Please help this is only car i got and if this thing go bad it will suck bad...

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
My 1995 Vam b2500 have same problem as some of u describe.Im not mechanic nor got lot of money to rebuild tranny. Just got van a 2 weeks ago for 1000$ on auction and it was not driven for 5 years. First day after Registration my all four tires blow up on me. Went and got used tires so i can bring van home.
Tranny was shifting good for first 2 days and after that it will go true first and second gear like a champ but to get in third gear it takes some times up to 2 miles.
Went to transmission service change oil and filter and now it still doing.No clue why. Engine oil was like a syrup for pancakes when i change it.Now engine smoke like crazy when i start.
Also Valve Gaskets where dripping oil so went and got new gaskets carb filter replace all that. Spark plugs distributor head and cables to.
But tranny is main thing that's driving me nuts. I order shift solenoid so i can change that but now i read that i could be something else like governed pressure solenoid. Van has only 97000 miles and it was driven by older lady who sold van at auction. Excellent condition inside and out,tv is was not working so i trow him out and going to replace with 19 inch LED 12V tv with PS3 and Custom Head unit. Also seats are leather and no tear on cracks on them.
So my point now is what a heck is wrong with deam transmission. Please help this is only car i got and if this thing go bad it will suck bad...

The 95 Ram Van came with a 46RH like my 95 Ram Van! Keep that 1995 van, the 95's are rare! Very few made.

Anyway's to the point the 46RH only has one shift solenoid and that is for the 4th gear overdrive, if you're having trouble getting into 2nd gear then I can for sure tell you that it's the inner lip seal in the direct drum. All 1995 46RH's installed in ram van's were affected by this manufacture defect, mine was one of them this is why I can say your's is also.

So that seal is no good, like the other person I recommend they just replace all the seals because 9 times out of 10 at the age of most of the transmissions rolling in with problems the seals are hard as rock and cracking.

If you want you can pay someone to remove the transmission and drop it off at my house and I can overhaul the transmission. If you want you can even bring the van by me and I can do the work for you, please note that this work would have to be done in April because it's the only time I have off. This job would take only a couple of days!

If you have someone else remove it I will only charge you 300 dollars in labor, if I have to remove it then the price is about 500 dollars labor and the part is 60 bucks!

Alot of labor involved trust me!

If you were to take it to someone they will probably charge you twice as much as I.

But tell me what you think. Oh the exhaust smoke, what colour is the smoke?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thanks!
I'm rethinking this and it's possible that the accumulator is leaking a little and the valve body probably needs to be rebuilt. Of course the kickdown band if it's out of wack will cause this issue but generally their is a great deal of slip and bind associated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts