DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a buddy and i changed out my plugs, wires, rariator and oil.
old radiator was half blocked changed out with no problems. oil was time to change. plugs were dirty, dont know when last changed, have only had it for a year now.
when all was said and done i cranked it up and everything was decent... topped off the coolant, checked oil again. but it was idling higher than before and sounded rough like it was misfiring (double checked wires and plugs)... so i put it in gear to see what it would drop to, and it dropped to normal. but started running rougher, and the check engine light came on. my buddy said he thinks its just the engine burning off the crap built up. so we drove it around my subdivision, and nothing changed. i had to take him home. and i noticed the truck would shake violently around 45-50 mph when on the accelerator. it was obviously too late to have someone check it out. but iv gotta drive my truck when moving 1000 miles to Oklahoma. i have no means of affording a different vehicle and it has to be running perfectly for the drive out. im planning on leaving monday (5-7-12) please please tell me he is right!!!

:)4-dontknow:i am a body mechanic not an engine mechanic.. my knowledge of enginesis only how to take apart and rebuild... not trouble shoot..:4-dontknow:)

PLEASE HELP QUICK!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
a buddy and i changed out my plugs, wires, rariator and oil.
old radiator was half blocked changed out with no problems. oil was time to change. plugs were dirty, dont know when last changed, have only had it for a year now.
when all was said and done i cranked it up and everything was decent... topped off the coolant, checked oil again. but it was idling higher than before and sounded rough like it was misfiring (double checked wires and plugs)... so i put it in gear to see what it would drop to, and it dropped to normal. but started running rougher, and the check engine light came on. my buddy said he thinks its just the engine burning off the crap built up. so we drove it around my subdivision, and nothing changed. i had to take him home. and i noticed the truck would shake violently around 45-50 mph when on the accelerator. it was obviously too late to have someone check it out. but iv gotta drive my truck when moving 1000 miles to Oklahoma. i have no means of affording a different vehicle and it has to be running perfectly for the drive out. im planning on leaving monday (5-7-12) please please tell me he is right!!!

:)4-dontknow:i am a body mechanic not an engine mechanic.. my knowledge of enginesis only how to take apart and rebuild... not trouble shoot..:4-dontknow:)

PLEASE HELP QUICK!!!!!!!
Hmm interesting, I once had an issue similar to yours where it was idling higher then normal after a plug change which is sometimes normal especially if the old plugs were oil or carbon fouled to death.

I would first start by getting the trouble code, I think with the 96 you can do key cycle, So put the key in the ignition and cycle it from on-off-on-off-on then the CEL should blink in a sequence, count the blinks. The blinks would be something like this blink-blink then pause then blink-blink that would be error 22 for example.

Did your friend happen to clean the throttle body and IAC pintle?

Also DOUBLE check to make sure the firing order is correct, I too have made this mistake. If you do all this and everything passes fine then it's possible that the distributor was moved a little, the symptoms you describe are exactly the same if you move the distributor on this engine.

Oh another thing that should be done is a combustion chamber cleaning, go to the dodge dealer and ask them for a can of combustion chamber cleaner, this stuff works very well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you got the codes read and all cylenders were misfiring... distributer cap may need to be replaced... am going to check the firing and make sure its all correct. if anyone knows anything else i can do please tell me!!!! i need all the help i can get. my now ex was supposed to do it all and pushed it of enough to piss me off and cause the break up... other wise nothing would be messed up...

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
thank you got the codes read and all cylenders were misfiring... distributer cap may need to be replaced... am going to check the firing and make sure its all correct. if anyone knows anything else i can do please tell me!!!! i need all the help i can get. my now ex was supposed to do it all and pushed it of enough to piss me off and cause the break up... other wise nothing would be messed up...
Yea if all are misfiring then it certainly can be from a weak ignition coil, bad distribtor cap, a distributor that isn't set correctly. Many things actually, count yourself lucky though because my ECM doesn't report misfires only a bad fuel injector error and in that case it doesn't tell you which fuel injector. The ecm I have strictly is to spit fuel into the intake valve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You sure you did not cross up a wire or two? Make sure you have all the wires on the cap at the right location!!! Dont have your wires crossing each other neither. Lastly, make sure each wire/boot is secure on plug and cap!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi... I'm a new member & never was on a blog before- hope i'm doing things correctly. If you have a 3.9 v6, it's very important that you place your plug wires along a proper path. If not, you may encounter many missfires- place in specific locations. This site can help you: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm

ALSO, don't be surprised if your fuel pump (inside gas tank) plays a roll in your missfiring. If fuel presuure is not correct, plug coil firing & fuel delivery can be off time & cause missfire. Same goes for fuel injectors.

Hope his info can help! GOOD LUCK!

sam302 ([email protected])

·
Registered
6 Posts
No start!! 1996 b1500

THANK YOU for all your efforts with help. BUT, not the problem, didin't help.
*Voltage to ignition coil was 10.5... THEN 9.5... NOW @ 0 volts!!!!
*Changed distributor, complet ALL parts... NO HELP.
*CHECK ALL fuses... ALL good.

WHY IS THER NO VOLTAGE GOING TO MY IGNITION COIL???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts