DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New here, thanks for stopping by :)

Problem spans the course of three weeks, first replaced alternator due to oreilly auto diagnosing a bad alt. Swapped it out, truck ran well for a week and a half. This was when i hopped in and turned the key to “on” displaying dash lights, then apon ignition an audible click as all electrical power is lost. Door remains open for a few minutes, then power completely returns. Same process as before, turning to start as electrical is lost again in the same fashion. Returning to it the next day, all electrical power resumes and sustains through starting the engine and all seems fine. Since then i have cleaned the ground connection to the new alt, and terminal connections to the clamps. Running fine for another week, now the problem is happening exactly the same way. As of now, i have noticed that the spring loaded switch that operates the dome light when opening the door is causing an audible signal to something in the seat belt retractor up by the driver seat head rest. Door open, i push it in and a low oscillating sound occurs. Door closed, a faint electrical bloop-bleep. Now as i type this i cant get it to consistently do it again.
Update 4/3/20
Attached a different battery to truck and it started up after having an instant return of electricity to all components. Took original battery (super start 840 cca) back to oreilly’s and they claimed a weak but “good” charge and after charging fully, it passed their artificial load test.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If there is a a way to post a 0:35 second cell phone vid here, i have one of the last time the main issue occurred.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You are positing in the first gen section,"1ST Generation Dodge Ram – 1993 & Older "
You need to check voltage at the battery when the problem starts. If you have power at the battery then the issue is in the connections or cables somewhere. Post the video on youtube and post link here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts