DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 98 ram 1500 4x4 5.9l v8 power steering pump was smoking and serpintine belt snapped so I swapped them both out and did a oil change while I was at it went to crank it and it won't crank and the truck kind of shakes and sounds like the belts bogging down and not allowing the engine to turn over enough to start. Thinking it could be my a/c compressor has gone out making the pulley not want to turn right but not sure. Any suggestions out there because I don't have the cash to take it to a shop and have em go through it at 90 bucks an hour.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
If I were to venture a guess, I'd say the belt shredded and there's a piece wrapped around something. Could be jammed in the A/C compressor. Get a good look back there or if you have video on your phone, record and stick it back there to get a look.

Any of the pulleys binding can put drag on the engine. Pull the belt back off and check that they all spin freely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Warlock lll All the pulleys spin freely but compressor pulley is a little less free than the rest. Could i judt take that pulley off and get a non a/c sepentine belt since my a/c doesn't work anyways
?And gen1dak yeah I saw I misspelled it but didn't edit it lol.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I've done it. Just get the slurpentine belt for the non-A/C.

You can also buy a delete pulley and bracket that bolts on in place of the A/C compressor.

So this snake and a horse walk into a bar...

Snakes don't have legs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wait a sec, you say it won't turn over but the AC compressor will spin by hand? Now, the compressor has a clutch so yes, it should spin easy with no load on it, but I have a hard time believing the compressor being 'a little less free' than the rest of the pulleys would keep it from spinning over fast enough to start unless you have a weak battery or a junk starter. I've seen locked up compressors smoke at starting but the thing still cranked enough to start. Take the belt off and fire it up, does it spin ok?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts