DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2L 2WD AT. I recently inherited this from my mom and the speedometer and odometer don't work. The CEL and Brake Light (not the ABS Light) were on. I changed the plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, and the rear speed sensor on the top of the rear diff. The new plugs, wires, etc got rid of the CEL, but my speedo and odo still don't work after replacing the rear sensor. The sensor didn't have the same orientation, as far as which side the plug was on, as the original. I didn't know how to tell if the truck was 4WABS or 2WABS, but it fit fine and had the same two prong connector as the stock. I purchased the sensor from Autozone. Any ideas? I'm on a budget and time constraint. Gonna be driving this truck from Indiana to California on Monday. Would be nice to know how fast I'm driving, haha.

Thanks in advance

Will

Edit: I did search a lot of dodge ram forums and this seemed to be the common cause. So hopefully its something simple like I got the wrong version of the sensor or something, or Autozone's sensor isn't up to par.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Hey all,
I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2L 2WD AT. I recently inherited this from my mom and the speedometer and odometer don't work. The CEL and Brake Light (not the ABS Light) were on. I changed the plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, and the rear speed sensor on the top of the rear diff. The new plugs, wires, etc got rid of the CEL, but my speedo and odo still don't work after replacing the rear sensor. The sensor didn't have the same orientation, as far as which side the plug was on, as the original. I didn't know how to tell if the truck was 4WABS or 2WABS, but it fit fine and had the same two prong connector as the stock. I purchased the sensor from Autozone. Any ideas? I'm on a budget and time constraint. Gonna be driving this truck from Indiana to California on Monday. Would be nice to know how fast I'm driving, haha.

Thanks in advance

Will

Edit: I did search a lot of dodge ram forums and this seemed to be the common cause. So hopefully its something simple like I got the wrong version of the sensor or something, or Autozone's sensor isn't up to par.
If you're on a budget, getting the problem diagnosed right the first time will cost less in the long run than blindly throwing parts at it. Check the PCM and ABS for any codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to have to work on it when I get back to CA. Thanks, I'll look into those. Gonna have to re-read the service manual to wrap my head around what interacts with what to make the speedometer work so I can TS it. Thanks for suggestions. Will update when I make some progress

·
Registered
137 Posts
mines the same way, i figured out that 55 is 1500 rpm's and 70 is 2000 rpm's been driving that way for 3 going on 4 months.. hard to know when the oil needs replacing though..

·
Registered
272 Posts
There is more than one speed sensor on our trucks.

But if the odometer and speedometer both dont work, Im not sure if its the speed sensor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Speedo issues

My 99 1500 4wd 5.2 has a speedo gremlin, it doesnt work below 45 mph, from there on up its fine, i get into it and find anything out i'll let you know

1 - 7 of 7 Posts