DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I needed to replace a leaky rear drum break cylinder and have noticed there is excessive play in the hub bearing. I can actually wiggle it up and own and see it move in the bearing. I want to replace the bearings but on the end of the outer hub is a metal plate with a hole in the middle behind which I assume is the hub nut.

Anyone know how to get that plate off? I am completely lost, it's not like the usual tap off dust cover I'm used to seeing.

HELP!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe this is what you are describing

Hmmm, in that vid he's removing the entire axle (mines a 2 wheel drive incidentally), I'm fairly certain the hub assembly should come off of the axle at the hub end right? I certainly hope so, because I don't want to be opening the diff and removing the axle. Also on the end of his hub is a 'divoted' cover plat, mine is just flat with a hole in the middle.
Thanks for the help, though.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
The video GTY provided is the same procedure for your axle shaft. 2wd and 4wd are exactly the same.

I get the inclination you're referring to a hub on a front wheel drive vehicle.

Yours is still relatively simple with the video for guidance.

Nice reply GTY. :rep:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya no hub nut seems to be the consensus, damn it lol

So, can I remove both axles at once or will my diff collapse and should I just do one side at a time?

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
You can do both at once.

However, DO NOT spin the gears with the pin out.

Slide the pin half way out. Push in on the axle shaft to drop the "c" clip retainer and put the pin back in immediately.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you do have to spin the gears i usually just put my fingers in the spider gears where the axle shaft goes and make sure that your spider gear doesn't try to shimmy out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts