DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone here might have an opinion on if you can use the A/C condenser as a trans cooler? It seems to me its the perfect fitting, cost saving, pre installed, recycled part for a very hard working 8000# + trailer towing, plow truck. It is a 1500 CC sport W/ 360 & 46RE, 3.92 gears. Are the veins large enough to flow the fluid thru? Is there anything I need to worry about or look for? Thanks in advance, Jim

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I was hoping someone here might have an opinion on if you can use the A/C condenser as a trans cooler? It seems to me its the perfect fitting, cost saving, pre installed, recycled part for a very hard working 8000# + trailer towing, plow truck. It is a 1500 CC sport W/ 360 & 46RE, 3.92 gears. Are the veins large enough to flow the fluid thru? Is there anything I need to worry about or look for? Thanks in advance, Jim
You could probably use a old condensor for a trans cooler but I would recommend that for a few good reasons, the main one is the pressure drop that might occur due to the size of the condensor another thing not a problem but a pain would be how much more fluid you would need.

Really the only issue I see is that their could be a pressure drop and that isn't a good thing because you could restrict the flow to the transmission's curcial components. You can use a hayden maxi-kool from the local autozone and it will work very well, I have one and It's great. Just be careful with restrictions because you may never know that a restriction is occuring and can cost you alot of money in repairs over something so stupid.

Not to scare you but about say 1000 miles after I installed my cooler my transmission died and I'm not sure if it was due to lube failure but I am led to believe it was because the component a od hub, was brown in color and the internal splines of this hub were scored and the so the hub couldn't freely slide on the od sun gear. But again it's all just a thought because most of the lube flow is via intermediate shaft which would include that hub but again no one will ever know. Just coincidental.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts