DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I transport 5 dogs in my truck bed (have a canopy) and was wondering if it could be possible to (de-)port the car A/C up to the rear with some sort of extension pipes or similar... has anyone ever done that ?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
You might be able to put a portable one back there

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Gentlemen, this helps. If I can find something portable which works with no ice, that would be nice: I don't see myself filling the ice at each move I'll make.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Thank you Gentlemen, this helps. If I can find something portable which works with no ice, that would be nice: I don't see myself filling the ice at each move I'll make.
Plenty on 12v AC units out there,, Also try your local RV dealer ,they have or can get many different types,, All depends on how much you want to spend,, In google search I see from 70$ and up. Please post what you find and use it may help someone else

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'd expect that your truck A/C won't cool an un-insulated bed with a CAP on it, not to mention that your cab will be missing the A/C that you're sending to the bed, making the cab warmer.

My wife's grandparents used to keep their little dog cool (on cross country trips through the southwest in a 1964 Chevy pickup with a camper on back) by putting dry ice in a pan on the floor of the cab. I used two plastic milk jugs of water, frozen solid, for similar cooling on my 79 C-10 Custom Deluxe. Perhaps you could keep the puppies cool with the ice-block (milk-jug) method, by putting a dozen of them in a rubbermaid tub. Uber-low tech, but you'd have 12 gallons of drinking water after a while as well. Just re-freeze the jugs as needed.

·
Premium Member
32,787 Posts
If you do use ICE, don't buy the Cubed Ice
Cubed Ice melts quite a bit quicker than blocks of ice

Also round cubes last longer than squared cubes in a drink

Back in the 1940s, people used to be almost comfortable using this system, it was a basic Swamp Cooler for vehicles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDBefjoDHUQ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts