DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....and Dodge trucks in particular.
First question. What did Dodge change to boost the h.p. of the Hemi from the 345 in my 2005 to the 390 in the new ones?
Second what is the difference between the SLT package I have and the "Off Road" package? I presume it is more than some decals.
Third. Can a switch be added to deactivate the airbags when off roading? I understand their necessity for safety on the highway but can foresee some great excitement in certain off road situations.
Thanks for your time
Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
TRX/Outdoorsman has different shocks/struts, fender flares, and skid plates.
The front sits about an inch higher than the SLT.
Airbags cannot be deactivated. I have beat the snot out of trucks offroad and never had an airbag go off.
The new hemi has a different valve train with variable valve timing... think of it as the equivalent of having two cam shafts... one for low RPM when you need torque and another for high RPM when you want horsepower (and no it does not have two physical camshafts, it just allows the camshaft to change its timing orientation with respect to the crank, and thus when the valves open and close during the combustion cycle based on RPM).

·
Registered
868 Posts
Second what is the difference between the SLT package I have and the "Off Road" package? I presume it is more than some decals.

If you start shopping for a new Ram don't even bother looking at the badge on the truck, read the window sticker for details!!! When I was shopping for my truck I looked at many Big Horn editions, and most of them were equipped differently, same for TRX, SLT and st models.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts