DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help. My truck won't idle. Iv replaced plugs, plug wires, did a spark test, tested all injectors, replaced idle air control valve, and it still won't run. It starts if it has sat for a few hours, but it won't idle. And once it dies it won't start again. It makes a loud sucking sound. It's a 98 ram. 318. I don't get around a computer very often so if someone could text me or call me and give me some direction it would be very appreciated. 760 793 6979. If I don't answer leave a voicemail. Thank you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A sucking noise would be a large vacuum leak to me. Try spraying starting fluid around the intake and see if it revs up. Is the check engine light coming on. If so get that checked it will tell you info about what the computer is seeing a problem with. Also, could be a throttle position sensor. Really need more information to help you on this one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sucking sound is coming from inside the throttle body, were the idle air control valve is. Iv replaced every. Thing that has thrown a code. My truck is a base modle so no tach, the truck will not idle on it's own. I have to hold the throttle open a little to keep it running.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guy's, It almost sounds like an EGR valve stuck open, I can't remember what year they stop putting them on the V8 engines. If one is open engine wont idle or may not even start , but push on the gas pedal a little and it will start and run!
At idle it should be closed and and wot( wide open throttle) closed also.
The intake will get hot to the touch really quick while engine is running, hotter than the engine coolant. Check the back of the intake and see if you have one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks. i will check those as soon as i get my truck out here, (recently moved to arizona and had to leave my truck in california)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts