DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i will try to explain this problem i am having with my 2006 dodge ram slt quad cab 4x4 with a 3.92 lsd rearend. i originally bought my truck used from a ford dealership with 26,000 miles on it which also came with a esp ford warrenty "powertrain". i had issues from day 1 with rearend to where they had to change rearend fluid twice in it because the rearend would i guess bind when i took a corner after a stop . after they changed the fluid and put that additive in it the truck was okay for awhile but i always had this sound were you could hear the rearend growling or spinning while driving . well at like 56,000 miles i was driving down a hill doing like 35 mph my trucks two back tires locked right up . it ended up with a blown rearend. having the powertrain warrenty the ford dealership replaced it with a rebuilt jasper rearend of same kind and gearing that was originally in the truck. after getting my truck back from having the rebuilt jasper rearend i noticed i had another problem with drivtrain. its kinda hard to explain and i will do my best to describe the problem. i notice this problem more when i am at 45 to 70 mph . while driving at 45 to 70 mph i feel a sort of vibration on front seats of truck plus i can hear this noise almost like a light vibration through truck evertime whatever is causing this to happen rotates or spins and it also goes smooth when spinning like whatever was causing this to happens is lined up but it then vibrates goes smooth ,vibrates goes smooth with every spin or rotation.i do notice it more when i am towing my 5,000 lb camper . i brought my truck 5 times to dealer to find and fix this issue ,i also had no check engine lites on and they said they checked u joints , tires ,rearend, and changed tranny fluid with new filter .they also said they can hear and feel the sympyoms but they do not know what is causing this to happen its hard to diagnois the problem? the dealership said we can not just replace parts if they are not broken or to see if that was the problem only until something breaks . my problem is my warrenty runs out in 2,000 miles and after that i pay for repair work. has anyone had a similar problem with drivetrain or might know what it could be and also do i have the right to force them find the problem without me having to pay for it ? thank -you rob

·
Registered
187 Posts
You have the warranty. Tell them fix the drivetrain vibration issue. Tell them you paid for the warranty, and this needs to be fixed. They can fix a problem they detect. Also tell them you are going to record the conversation in the event that this needs to go to civil court. and record the conversation

Chances are it's in the Transfer case or trans. It can also be an unbalanced or bent drive shaft. With the rear end having locked up like it did, they really should be replacing everything from trans back to the rear axle. Lots of parts could be bent.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi tommycat , i always wondered if something could of happened to my tranny when the rearend locked up like that and the truck came to a dead stop . i know i had a friend of mine look at at the drive shaft . he said it was fine. i hope its not the tranny. everytime i took my truck to have this issue fixed they said there was nothing wrong but i have this annoying sound and vibration i get. like i said everytime i took my truck to the dealer they always said it is hard to diagnois the problem and they just cant take things apart to see what is causing it. if my warrenty covers powertrain shouldnt they fix it . everytime i took my truck in to the dealer i paid 100.00 deductable .is it because the dealer doesnt make money on this type of issue so they are ignoring it? i do not know legally what i have the right to do?

·
Registered
187 Posts
You have taken it to them to fix a problem. THEY took money to diagnose the problem. They are supposed to cover warranty issues. This falls in that category. Take it back and inform them that they MUST cover the warranty. If it means they have to replace the transmission then so be it. YOU PAID FOR THE WARRANTY. That's what it's there for.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gtyankee i will check on that thank-you . it is just so insane how they the auto tech's hear and feel the symptoms but can not put a fingure on it. they did check things but i think maybe it is something within were they cant see it from outside . like something in tranny or someone said that maybe the rebuilt rearend that was installed was not shimmed right and the gears are not lined up right in rearend and that is what is causing the vibration and sound i am getting. the dealer said they checked the rearend but i wonder how well ?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Give them these options.

1) they can fix the problem
2) They give you a full refund on the purchase price of the vehicle
3) you take it to another shop that will fix the problem and they reimburse you the full cost.

That warranty is a contract with you. They made an agreement to fix the issue. They are not holding up their end. Keep talking to higher and higher management at that dealership until they agree to one of the 3. If you have to, do what I did. Walk into the sales floor, with the keys in hand and say "I want my money back!" Be angry. Get the sales manager to come out and talk to you. Don't leave the floor until they agree to fix it. The last thing they want is someone on their sales floor showing potential customers that they cannot be trusted to keep their pledge to you the customer. Heck if you have to, talk to the owner of the dealership, and explain that this issue could have been resolved much earlier if they had fixed the rear-end like they should have in the first place.

The description leads me to believe it's something bent, but not broken. I'd almost bet it's the axle shafts. It's also very possible they didn't shim the rear diff properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts