DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased an '05 Ram and have a slight issue. When you come to a full stop 2 things are happening. One when you go to give it gas to pull away it sputters like it doesnt want to go but then within seconds is fine. Also, if you turn away from a full stop it also shutters a lil bit in the rear end but only when turning. I have had a mechanic look at my truck several times and as far as the sputter he is lost. There are no codes being thrown and I have done plugs trying to get rid of it. Also, he says with the rear end he has looked at everything short of taking apart the rear end. I am new to Dodge but bought one because my friend had one and I loved the styling and power!! Unfortunately I have no idea about any known issues but am catching on quick. The 16 spark plugs was def. new ha ha. Thank You in advance to anyone who can help!!
- Cavan

·
Registered
79 Posts
The sputter on accel could be worn spark plugs. They recommend changing them every 30k. As for the rear shutter, you probably have a limited slip rear end and it is grabbing a bit on turns which is normal for them. When the clutch (in the rear end) tries to keep both tires turning at the same speed the inside tire will have to slip a bit to keep pace with the outer, and you feel a bit of a shutter or bounce when it happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
check your intake air temp. sensor if it's dirty with sludge it will be slow to respond also pull the map and check it too for sludge build up.clean your throttle plate they're always nasty.this should fix ya right up.renew the fuel filter if you have'nt already and make sure your air filter is in good shape.worst case is your electronic throttle controll system,either the pedal assembly or the controller on the intake mainfold have a glitch in one of their position sensors but I could'nt begin to guess which without personally scanning the vehicle.good luck with the little checks I gave ya.oh yeah,the rear diff,have someone service it and put a good limited slip additive,I use BG here at the shop.look on the BG web site for a shop that uses their products in your area.good shit or I would'nt recomend it.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the sputter, this sounds suspiciously like the EGR valve. How many miles on your truck?

beglin makes a good suggestion...the LSD requires a friction additive to keep the posi clutches from chattering. If you put the truck in reverse and go slowly, does it feel like it's binding up or vibrating? That's a definite indicator that the diff needs a fluid change and/or some new additive. It breaks down just like any other oil, eventually.

I had to change out the rear diff fluid and additive on a GM vehicle I owned about every 6K miles as I could feel the chatter coming from the rear at about that interval.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts