DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My '96 Ram 1500 4x4 has ABS, I think 4 wheel. When I bought the truck, the yellow ABS light (lower left idiot light) was on, stayed on. Repair is very expensive, and a couple of weeks ago my brake line heading to the drums blew behind the fuel cell.....I have everything now to re-do the rears-new line, shoes, wheel cyls, spring kit.......What I want to do is bypass the ABS unit, take the line directly to the master cylinder, and later do the same with the front discs. Does anyone know if this will have a bad effect to the PCM? My plan is to go through the pressure switch, to keep the red brake light off (lower right side idiot light), and plug the ports heading to the pulse unit. I have corrision on most of the brake lines, so I need to restore the whole system. Good idea, bad idea, no worries???? Thanks!! :box:

E

·
0 Posts
Not a good idea as it will detrimentally affect ABS operation. And as you know, that's not a good thing on the wet roads around here in the PNW!!!

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
i think bad idea because wont that have a negative effect on your breaking ability?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would't advise bypassing the ABS sytem. I think you my have RWAL (rear antilock brakes) only, but the final outcome is up to you. Do you know what codes are in the ABS computer? common item is the rear axle speed sensor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts