DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 2002 Ram [53 k miles] AC compressor burned up -- literally smoked -- well, I don't have the cash to put into a new one now so I bought a by-pass pulley from Advance Auto for $40. It is made by Dalton 34178. The item eventually worked, however, I had to buy the correct bolts (5/16" x 18) because they included metric bolts. I also bought fender/lock washers too. It comes with various shims and I used 3 shorty and 1 behind the pulley. When I first installed it and started it, the belt was clicking, so I shimmed the pulley per instructions and it worked fine. The instructions state the pulley shim may/may not be needed. Either way, not a difficult job to remove the compressor, install the new pulley. I understand I could have eliminated the pulley altogether and bought a new belt, but the belt on the truck is only 1 yr old and a new belt was more than the pulley. I don't think I'll be replacing the AC unit in my work truck.

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,362 Posts
Glad it worked out for you even though it cost ya more than it should, still cheaper than the compressor either way, good info!

- Cajun

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.