DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 1500 6cyl I picked up in Jan. used. Hot weather hit last month so I turned on the AC for first time... Not cold. (I bought it in Jan. so it felt cold then...I'm in PA). So still low miles under warranty, fixed. But like 2 weeks later I notice I have a surge/shudder/vibration when AC is on and usually at idle. They think compressor... New compressor... Nope. So I get a call today saying they're going to compare it to 2 other 6cyl in the lot...I guess if they do the same thing it's the nature of the truck, here's your truck back. I have a hard time swallowing that thinking. So is that normal? Do you 6 cyl later model guys have it?

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,238 Posts
Generally at idle if the compressor places a load demand on the engine, the control system will boost the idle speed a bit, so it would be normal for the engine speed at idle to vary periodically (if that's what you mean by "surge") if the AC is active.

But a vibration that you can actually feel somewhere in the cab in the cab would not be normal I wouldn't think.

If they tell you that it's normal because the other sixers on the lot do the same thing, I think I'd want them to demonstrate that comparison test with me present so I could judge for myself if it's the same symptoms or not.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I'd have to feel it, my Pentastar Durango doesn't idle as smoothly as my Hemi Ram, and the AC makes it a little more noticeable

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree

I'd have to feel it, my Pentastar Durango doesn't idle as smoothly as my Hemi Ram, and the AC makes it a little more noticeable
Without it on my truck is smooth

If they tell you that it's normal because the other sixers on the lot do the same thing, I think I'd want them to demonstrate that comparison test with me present so I could judge for myself if it's the same symptoms or not.
I agree

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up...

Let me first say I'm not a mechanic and I know there are some great ones out there... I don't think my situation experienced one of the better ones however.

As stated above I had the vibration with the AC. When I left it I said to my wife I hope it's simple so I get it back quick. To me it sounded like it could be the fan because when I'd turn the truck off the vibration would still be there and lessen as the fan spun to a stop. But after mechanics tried things, changed out the compressor...I thought... Ugh... It's worse. It was in the shop a week before I got it back.

It was the stinking fan. It took someone a week to realize the vibration lessening when the fan would spin to it's stop after the truck turns off. The service writer guy even told me that's what they figured out. So after 7 days, a new compressor and fiddling with who knows what...I got a new cooling fan and all is well. SMH

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,601 Posts
Glad to hear someone finally found the issue. Thanks for the follow up post.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Good to hear it got figured out. I had a grinding squeal when coasting to a stop at around 15 MPH when MDS would kick off when the AC was on. It started a few weeks ago. Put a new serpentine belt on it Wednesday and its good as new again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts