DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't for my ram truck but I really need to know if I can put a new ac compressor on and put the right amount of oil in it can I run it without the freon in it without damaging my new compressor.

·
It's Showtime!
422 Posts
I would not since the freon helps circulate oil through the system. It also has a pressure valve so the compressor won't engage without freon in it (would have to put a jumper in it). Now that being said you can always install it but leave it unplugged (but if you don't vacuum down & install freon you are going to have moisture in the system which is very bad). You are probably required to change the accumulator also to keep the new compressor warranty intact. I'd also change the expansion valve if it were me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

• I would not since the freon helps circulate oil through the system. It also has a pressure valve so the compressor won't engage without freon in it (would have to put a jumper in it). Now that being said you can always install it but leave it unplugged (but if you don't vacuum down & install freon you are going to have moisture in the system which is very bad). You are probably required to change the accumulator also to keep the new compressor warranty intact. I'd also change the expansion valve if it were me.
    Thanks so much. I've got a bearing going down but it's not locked up and I gave $150.00 for replacement and I really needed to know before I mess up. Again Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
413 Posts
So are you trying to get A/C up and running? Or use the compressor as an idler pully. They have to have oil to keep innards moving. But if just using as an idler the bearing should work for you. Without the clutch engaged it just turns on bearing.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Keep in mine there is oil in the compressor itself and oil in the system. The two are not connected. Compressor will not run without freon in the system. If you are not familiar with ac systems have someone do it for you.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The oil for compressor is carried thru system by th freon. Usually a new compressor will say if has been serviced wit oil. If your only using as a idler pulley it dont matter as innards aint turning

·
Registered
413 Posts
The oil for compressor is carried thru system by th freon. Usually a new compressor will say if has been serviced wit oil. If your only using as a idler pulley it dont matter as innards aint turning

1 - 7 of 7 Posts