DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so to the least this problem is very annoying. To begin my truck is a 2001 ram 5.9 4x4 offroad.

The problem: I turn the defroster on (either heat or cold) and it switches to either one randomly. If I put it on cold, it goes to cold for a minute or two then switches to hot by itself. It mostly goes to hot when I brake. However, the cold is really cold, and the hot is really hot. It just cant make up its mind I guess between the two. :4-dontknow: It has been doing this for about a year now. I just never used the air or heat til recently.

Within the past 2 weeks it has started smoking alittle through the vents(no matter what position I have the selector in) I can smell engine coolant, so I am thinking my heater core is either plugged or maybe leaking somewhere. I did check the carpet on the floor and cannot find any wet spots.

On a side note; I did replace the radiator about a month ago.

I have also heard about the blend door axle breaking, causing the door to not stay open or closed. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks guys

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Check your core...

You should certainly check your heater core along with some other things. I can only help so much but just check your core.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to bypass the heater core tonight and see if the smoke coming through the vents and randomly changing temperatures stops. If it does, atleast I'll know its the heater core without having to rip my dash apart. Losing the heat isnt really a big deal since Im moving to Arizona soon.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Good point but the heater core isn't in the dash I don't believe. I believe it is in a black plastic box that has the A/C Evaporator as well as the Heater Core. I may be wrong because different trucks years designs etc... But it sounds like it could be the heater core. I don't have heat problems LOLOLOLOL but A/C problems and I live in Florida. But about your problem I can only tell you so far to check the core. Best of luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So here is an update. I was looking under the hood around the accumulator, and noticed that directly underneath it is a tube of some sort coming through the firewall. This is dripping antifreeze/coolant from it. Not too bad, maybe a cup every couple of days. The truck is running good. I only have the above stated issues with the ac system. Ive been looking in my haynes manual to try and figure out what this tube is, but cant find it anywhere. Does anyone know what it is? also, is there supposed to be a hose going to it? I did not find any lose hoses anywhere. thanks guys.

**EDIT**
So, after some more digging; from what I understand, this thing is called a fixed orifice tube? I do not know anything about it, but could only find a couple of posts on here about replacing it if it is clogged. What does it do? I cant find anything describing its purpose and or if it is supposed to have a hose connected to it so it doesnt leak coolant. thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts