DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, This is my second post and i live in deep south Texas where in the summer the temperature is easily a 100 plus daily for months. I bought my 2019 Ram 1500 Unlimited in October of 2018 and noticed it does't cool as fast or as cold as all of my previous trucks and jeep. There is no way i'm going to survive this coming summer in this truck. Has anyone else experienced this low performing AC system. I've taken it to the dealership multiple times and they always say it's cools. Please let me know if you had this problem and had it fixed and how you did it.
Thank you.

·
Registered
322 Posts
There is a TSB for poor AC performance for trucks built from 1-8-18 through 9-20-18. Yours probably falls in that group since you bought it in October. Apparently it works from what I've heard. The number is 24-001-19. If your dealer doesn't want to check into it, I would find another dealer and try them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in San Antonio and have the same problem. My other three Ram/Dodge vehicles blow much cooler. My new 2019 Laramie 4WD does not cool at idle also. I am taking it in to the dealership on Friday.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Do either of you guys have the panoramic sunroof by chance? That has to be a major burden to an AC system in Texas.

Hopefully the above mentioned TSB resolves the issue but regardless, I would look into treating your vehicles to some ceramic tint if you haven't already. It's a game changer in hot climates and allows the AC to recover a hot vehicle so much faster.

If you aren't a fan of tint or darker windows, they do offer a very light tint (70%) that is virtually unnoticeable while still maintaining about 80% of the heat deflection advantage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A/C Problem in New Ram 1500

I do not have a sunroof in truck. Thanks for the tip on the tint. I don't care for tinted windows but I might look into the last option you mentioned to help deflect the sun.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
With any 2009 & newer Ram
If your interior does not cool quick enough for you & the dealer fix does not do much

Set your Climate Control to Recirculate, that closes off the outside air from entering the cab.
It works for me

It is already over 100°F here in my town just 20 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean
70 miles further inland, it is 108°F & it is not quite the hottest part of the day

Summer is coming :) & :(

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,560 Posts
Don't have the sunroof, but I noticed my 2019's A/C doesn't seem to get as cold as the 2017's? But our temps have only been up in the middle to upper 80s a few times, so it still cools the inside of truck down. No complaints with it, yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem. Going to different dealer tomorrow to see if they find anything. I have work vehicle that is the 6 cylinder and the AC works awesome. Same year 2019. Not sure why the AC sucks so bad in the hemi version and why there aren't more complaints out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, This is my second post and i live in deep south Texas where in the summer the temperature is easily a 100 plus daily for months. I bought my 2019 Ram 1500 Unlimited in October of 2018 and noticed it does't cool as fast or as cold as all of my previous trucks and jeep. There is no way i'm going to survive this coming summer in this truck. Has anyone else experienced this low performing AC system. I've taken it to the dealership multiple times and they always say it's cools. Please let me know if you had this problem and had it fixed and how you did it.
Thank you.
I bought a new 2018 ram 1500 sport In February 2019 and first hot day I turned on a/c and no cold air so I took it in to dealership and they said I had a leak and repaired it, but the a/c system still sucks, worse than any vehicle I’ve ever had. I find a lot of glitches with the truck and overall am not satisfied however haven’t decided if I should go trade it in and lose a bunch of money or just kick myself over and over ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Picked up a used 2018 Ram 1500 Sport - 22,500 km's - and the AC sucks!! My old 2010 Laramie would freeze your nipples off! This thing when it gets over 24C seems like it's blowing warm air. I already tinted the front windows with a Solar guard and it helps keeping the sun from pre heating the sides - but windshield still lets heat in! And I use windshield shades when parked.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you.
So I have a 2017 Ram SLT. Bought it in 2017 used and last year in February my ac pump went out on it. Cost me 1400 to repair it due to the refrigerate thats used on 2017 and newer rams. Well the exact same thing happened to me last week and I'm so very over it. I dont even live in a hot place and I use the ac very rarely at that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey y'all, there's a super active thread about this on another forum that I won't link here out of respect, but the gist is that there's a blend door issue with the heater core that the TSB is supposed to fix. Some folks, like me, are installing manual ball valves at the base of the hose where the hot water comes out of the block to the heater core; I cut off that flow about 80% and my AC blows super cold. I'm also in central TX, that was a lifesaver for me.

Google search for 5th gen ram ac hack. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hey y'all, there's a super active thread about this on another forum that I won't link here out of respect, but the gist is that there's a blend door issue with the heater core that the TSB is supposed to fix. Some folks, like me, are installing manual ball valves at the base of the hose where the hot water comes out of the block to the heater core; I cut off that flow about 80% and my AC blows super cold. I'm also in central TX, that was a lifesaver for me.

Google search for 5th gen ram ac hack. :) Good luck!
I did that same mod on my 2020 3500 Cummins HO and it works wonders. One negative is when the weather cools the AC cannot adjust to your temp setting. With the heater hose blocked, there is no heat available to allow the AC system to adjust to your temp setting.

I just went on a short trip where the weather was 100+ and my truck AC set to 70 degrees.
I measured with a digital meter and the two driver AC vents were 42 and 45 degrees. When I made the return trip it was early evening and the outside air dropped considerably. I had to turn the fan speed from auto to its lowest setting because it was freezing me.

Will be modifying my 2016 Eco as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did that same mod on my 2020 3500 Cummins HO and it works wonders. One negative is when the weather cools the AC cannot adjust to your temp setting. With the heater hose blocked, there is no heat available to allow the AC system to adjust to your temp setting.

I just went on a short trip where the weather was 100+ and my truck AC set to 70 degrees.
I measured with a digital meter and the two driver AC vents were 42 and 45 degrees. When I made the return trip it was early evening and the outside air dropped considerably. I had to turn the fan speed from auto to its lowest setting because it was freezing me.

Will be modifying my 2016 Eco as well.
Yep yep, I totally get it. I've been adjusting the valve a little here and there trying to find a balance so I still have some heater capability. If it ever actually gets cold down here I'm sure I'll open it all the way.

Some folks are upset that RAM didn't engineer this properly in the first place on a $40-50-60 thousand dollar truck, and I don't really blame them... but I kind of like tweaking it myself by hand. Makes it feel more like my very own truck, I guess. :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yep yep, I totally get it. I've been adjusting the valve a little here and there trying to find a balance so I still have some heater capability. If it ever actually gets cold down here I'm sure I'll open it all the way.

Some folks are upset that RAM didn't engineer this properly in the first place on a $40-50-60 thousand dollar truck, and I don't really blame them... but I kind of like tweaking it myself by hand. Makes it feel more like my very own truck, I guess. :)
I wasn't unhappy at all with my AC. It works great. I did the mod mostly to see if it did work as advertised. Now that I know it does make a difference I'll keep it for the times I'm in excessive heat or just because I can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I decided I wasn't going to let the dealer rip my dash out for no reason and I came across this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092YVQS7K or, you can find it by searching for "Muzzys A/C Hack Kit". For 20 bucks you really can't go wrong! I live in AZ and we're almost up to 100 degrees here already and this made a world of difference! I no longer want to get rid of my truck.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Reactions: yooper265
1 - 17 of 17 Posts