DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 1500 ST crew 5.7

AC blows cool not cold(like my wife's newer vehicle). Thinking its time for a recharge? Any suggestions/recommendations(off the shelf can from an auto part store or straight to a professional?). No issues with the system, just thinking its time for a refill.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Not as simple as "a refill". Where did the refrigerant that was in there go? It has to have leaked somewhere if it is low. I would propose there is probably a small leak somewhere VS a failing component. Do any of the lines freeze up with frost? Best bet is put a set of gauges on it and get it checked out. Lots of like the tire shops around here run "specials" for A/C check up for like $20.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No line freezing, compressor, evap, ect issues. Just figured being 8, its time to recharge(as i haven't done so in the years I've owned it). I have an appointment Tuesday for the whole system to be tested. I was educated on why stuff from the cans is junk. So, professional, here I come.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Cans are a stop gap temp fix at best. Some have some really bad "extra" stuff in them that can be bad news for your system. My 12 2500 dont cool like the boss's Durango either. But I consider my cab has probably as much sq fottage and more windows. It takes awhile for it to get going seems like to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given the system isn't 100 air tight/leak proof(as I've been informed). A small amount over 8yrs adds up. Since its cool but not cold, figure get it checked and serviced before a major break down happens. Assuming your seals are in decent shape, it shouldn't take that long. Your system was designed for the sq ft the truck has. Should it be instant, no. Should it take awhile, no. Go for a checkup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts