DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure that i have fixed the problems that i have been having with my truck's lack of power and rough idle and what not. I started the process of changing the plenum gasket yesterday....got it off and the first thing that i noticed was that i only had half of a throttle body gasket lol.. then once i cracked the intake...the intake gasket was not only stock..(from 98)..it was partially blown out too..along with the bolts being so rusted into place that two of them broke. when i got the intake off and took the plenum pan off, i think that the only part of the gasket left that had not deteriated was one corner and then about 2 inches down the side. so i scraped off all of the gasket material and polished the intake and plenum pan and am in the process of putting it back together today so i'll let you know how it feels later on today! I also did an oil change since it theoretically won't be drinking it anymore lol...i think that was the blackest oil i have ever seen....and it's only been a little over 3 months!

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Let's hope it works man. Who knows, maybe I've blown out some gaskets as well that may be causing my problem? Keep us updated when it's done.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i finished it yesterday before i went to work at 6. i changed the spark plugs, oil, cleaned the air filter, replaced the throttle body, plenum, intake, and thermostat gaskets. the only thing that i had a problem with at first was that it ran terrible for the first couple minutes. I think that is because the computer is re-adjusting itself for the actual amount of air that is suppossed to be in there. immediately though i could feel a boost in acceleration. maybe not as much throttle response but deffidently acceleration once i get into it. i am going to reflash the computer though and reload my superchips program later on today too just in case. o the only thing that i am having a problem with now is that i replaced my tensioner pulley because the bearing started squeaking, well now i guess something isn't lining up because there is a whole lot of squealing coming from the front :/ o well lol i can deal with squealing temporarily, not loss of power :) lol

·
Registered
948 Posts
Just cleaned out my throttle body while installing a CAI, noticed a thin film of oil inside the intake. Read that a thin film is OK, but pooling is a blown gasket. I might have lost 4oz of oil over the last 3-4K miles, and the engine still runs great. Should I be worrying about it yet?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't think that is anything to worry about. Engines will burn a little bit of oil, no matter how good of shape it is in just from the oil lubricating the cylinder walls. If you have to add oil every tank of gas, start worrying.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i was going through about 4 and a half quarts in about 3 to four months. lol that and it a)had no power and b)no acceleration (even after programing with my superchips) and c)was blowing smoke at start up and d) had one of the worst idle's i have ever heard if you let it sit. but now all of that is fixed. my idle is fine (after letting the pc readjust) and there is no smoke, and there is a whole lot of power that i didn't know i had before! the only things that i have to work on now are a) my bottom radiator hose is cold to the touch even after a 40 minute drive while the top one is moderately warm and only half of the radiator is warm, the other half cold. and these d*mn squealing pulley's or belts :/ that's for another weekend though lol

·
Registered
948 Posts
Did you just replace the gasket, or did you get an aftermarket aluminum belly pan? Don't think mine is bad yet, but would like to know what is the best way to go.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just hooked up one of my wire brush attachments to the end of my drill and ground off all of the gasket material cause it's impossible to get it off by hand that i know of. but i polished it up myself basically. and got a new serpentine belt to fix my squealing :) and i replaced my intake bolts, intake gasket, throttle body gasket, and plenum gasket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts