DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed an antenna for my fire department radio.
I need to run the coax from the engine compartment into the cab.
I see a couple of possibilities, but want to know the best place to run the wire through the firewall. ( 2011 Sport )

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I run everything through a large rubber plug on the drivers side near the steering column. It is out of any dangers of getting water in the cabyou can either drill a hole or use a razor knife to just cut a small "X" in it and push the wires through. You can also silicone around it afterwatds to seal it if you feel the need to do so. If having to run wires from the passenger side I wire-tie them to the wire loom up under the cowl seal. Careful not to drill into or cut any wires behind the seal (under the dash) check everything first before drilling ( all my wires were out of the way but a long drill bit can snag something if not careful.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I also use the large rubber plug that is in the firewall near the steering shaft.

G

·
I know my truck is a prior generation but I too have used the large rubber plug in the firewall.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just ran some wires for driving lights yesterday and I also used the rubber plug. Just cut a small slit in it and pushed the wires through. FYI - in mine there was two rubber grommets (or plugs) one on the engine bay side and one on the cab side. Makes it a little more difficult but not impossible.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to go with those suggestions.
I was standing back looking and something else jumped out at me.
There is a plastic plate just beside the brake booster.
It covers a round hole that I could see from under the dash.
I drilled a hole through it and used the proper sized rubber grommet which I happened to have.
This worked perfectly.
I will be installing some flashing lights behind the grill soon and will run the switch wire through there also.
Here's some pics from the engine bay and under the dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Looks like a good spot and is easy to get to.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport 4x4
4,226 Posts
I ran my power wire for my amp through that clutch plate too. Worked perfectly, but I put a rubber grommet on it anyway.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I saw that spot too. I guess I didn't pursue it any further since I didn't have a grommet to cover the drilled hole. Nice job!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.