DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a bit of advice. I'm very concerned about some jerk stealing my Ram. I have an engine immobilizer installed, but I'm considering adding a Lojack as well. What do you guys think, is the immobilize enough? The Ram has been added to the top 10 list of most stolen vehicles.

·
Premium Member
32,591 Posts
recently a truck was stolen in my area, the owner had Lojack, the company was notified & the owner was notified that the vehicle was at a address, the police went to that address & saw nothing, just a ranch style home with a couple vehicles in the driveway.
Lojack said that they had a signal coming from that address, a search warrant was issued, seems the thieves had cut out the front of the building & put the vehicle inside of the build & closed it back up
to me, if you wanted to keep someone from driving off in your vehicle, buy a
Ravelco anti theft device, it has never been beaten
http://www.neverstolen.com/

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have a LoJack on my Wrangler (because I bought it used and it was installed) but for LoJack to honor their warranty/guarantee you have to have it "serviced" every year at an authorized installer (not cheap from what I can recall).

I had a Ravelco installed in my truck and don't have to worry about tracking it if it's stolen! :smileup: And Ravelco comes to your location to do the install!

·
Banned
56,675 Posts
I considered LoJack for mine but my concern is if the thief is driving and they cut the engine, will it cause a crash? Then I would have that to content with.

I opted for a GPS tracking alarm. Costs $50 a year for 100 connections and no servicing is needed. You can set the alarm to call and/or email you with the alert. You can also set up what alerts you want to be informed of, such as things like breaking windows, low battery and the vehicle being moved.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a LoJack on my Wrangler (because I bought it used and it was installed) but for LoJack to honor their warranty/guarantee you have to have it "serviced" every year at an authorized installer (not cheap from what I can recall).

I had a Ravelco installed in my truck and don't have to worry about tracking it if it's stolen! :smileup: And Ravelco comes to your location to do the install!
Obviously it depends on the area you live in but how much should one expect to pay for a Ravelco install? Just looking for an estimate as I'm pretty seriously considering it. May send them an email to get an exact quote but thought I would ask here first :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Obviously it depends on the area you live in but how much should one expect to pay for a Ravelco install? Just looking for an estimate as I'm pretty seriously considering it. May send them an email to get an exact quote but thought I would ask here first :)
It's not cheap (I paid $500) but IMO to protect your truck it's well worth it. Even with LoJack someone's taking your rig for a ride and even if you recover it, who knows in what condition? With Ravelco your truck isn't moving unless you leave the plug in.

E

·
0 Posts
I agree with the comments made. I was not impressed with the LoJack system nor it's "maintenance" fee.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's not cheap (I paid $500) but IMO to protect your truck it's well worth it. Even with LoJack someone's taking your rig for a ride and even if you recover it, who knows in what condition? With Ravelco your truck isn't moving unless you leave the plug in.
+ Rep for the response. $500 isn't bad at all, heck I was thinking it might be closer to the $1000 mark. I think I'll be giving them a call soon here to set up an apointment to have one installed on my truck.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts

Seems you are not the first!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jeremy here from LoJack. I'm not responding to sell LoJack, but rather to clarify comments made in earlier posts. Since LoJack is a theft recovery system, it isn't going to stop a thief from stealing and driving off with your vehicle. But, the time that it takes for the police to recover your Dodge after it has been reported stolen is generally a few hours or less. Here's an example of a recent Dodge Ram recovery:
Vehicle: 2005 DODGE RAM 1500 PICK-UP
Activation: PHOENIX PD 3-17-11 7:36 AM
Recovery: RATTLER AUTO THEFT T/F 3-17-11 9:45 AM

Upon discovery of the theft of the Dodge Ram from the owner’s driveway, the owner contacted police to report the crime. The stolen vehicle information was then entered into the NCIC police computer. This routine police action automatically activated the LoJack transponder concealed in the vehicle. Detectives with the “RATTLER” Auto Theft Task Force began picking up the silent LoJack homing signal from the Ram 1500 with the LoJack Police Tracking Computers installed in the police cars. The detectives followed the LoJack signals to an apartment complex in the 5000 block of East Thomas Road, where the stolen Dodge was observed parked. Detectives released the Dodge back to a very happy owner.
If you purchase a LoJack system through our e-store, our certified techs can install the system at your preferred location (home, office, other).
In terms of honoring the 24 recovery or less policy, your system simply has to be warranteed (which it is for the first two years after your purchase... after that point, the warranty can be extended). While we suggest an inspection every two years, LoJack doesn't require service every year. We have a self-powered system now, so it would take thieves more than disconnecting the electrical system to defeat LoJack. Something you should consider when evaluating your options. Thanks for the opportunity to clarify those points. Good luck with your research.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts