DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating on whether to spring for the radio with the Nav system and I have a question. I have a standalone Garmin GPS and I can add files with custom POIs (Points of Interest), custom vehicle icons, custom voices, etc. I see that the Nav system in the 8" UConnect radios is advertised as "by Garmin". Can you add the various custom items to the Nav in them?

-K

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not sure if you can ad POI's. Most likely not. I would recommend against getting the Nav system offered currently. It will get you to where you want to go eventually. But will not tell you if your destination is on the left or right side, have you making exits off the highway only to return you back to the highway, or have you driving in circles. I am glad that I found these things wrong with it while driving to known places. If used in an unfamiliar territory to you, could be not a good thing.
I did notify FCA of my findings, and the response was we have your concerns on file.

So, in my opinion, keep your stand alone Garmin handy. I am doing that currently, looks weird, 2 Navs in the same truck. But, I trust my stand alone more.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, in my opinion, keep your stand alone Garmin handy. I am doing that currently, looks weird, 2 Navs in the same truck. But, I trust my stand alone more.
Definitely not a true Garmin system then. Sounds like they might just be getting the map data from Garmin and using their own software. Thanks for the info, I think I'll save the money and just get the 8" radio without the Nav.

-K

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
803 Posts
Definitely not a true Garmin system then. Sounds like they might just be getting the map data from Garmin and using their own software. Thanks for the info, I think I'll save the money and just get the 8" radio without the Nav.

-K
I agree with you on staying with the stand alone GARMIN! With GARMIN you get free lifetime map and traffic updates ! And from what I have read the RAM GPS you have to pay for the updates ! Plus you can get a real good GARMIN for way under 300$

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any fixes for this yet? Looking for a way to upload GPX files from Garmin Base Camp to my truck...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any fixes for this yet? Looking for a way to upload GPX files from Garmin Base Camp to my truck...

As far as I know, no. The built in Nav is passing useless. Best options are to either stick with a standalone Garmin (my choice) or get the radio out of a 2018 and use the Anroid Auto/Apple Play functionality to run a GPS app like Google maps or Waze off your phone (expensive).

-K

·
Registered
771 Posts
I've found a 100% reliable alternative to the NAV in my UConnect 8.4. Doesn't require satellite connection, software updates, or even any power.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've found a 100% reliable alternative to the NAV in my UConnect 8.4. Doesn't require satellite connection, software updates, or even any power.
has never failed me yet spot on every time

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
I often travel the western half of the USA & once a year i travel from California to Connecticut & back.

Last trip to Connecticut was in July & August
My 2016 Ram 8.4 radio with Nav did fairly well until it was time to jump off of the I-81 just north of Harrisburg Pa, at Lebanon, where i catch the I-78 & then the I-287 & then the I-684 to Brewster, where i catch the I-84
Well this year, the Nav put me onto roads that were more like wagon trails, like state route 22 out of White Plains
The Nav kept repeating things like traffic congestion at or delay at, when i got there, an EXIT Ramp would have a closed sign & the actual highway was almost up to full speed

I have watched other traffic seemingly following the Rams Nav voice prompts to detour
They would not be in a FCA vehicle, so they had to be using Waze, SYNC, or Onstar, etc.

I finally figured out that you have to really listen to the voice prompts, what you need to listen for is whether the voice says that the congestion is from Exits 2 & 10 or for Exits 10 & 2
Exit 2 to 10 would be East Bound or North Bound
Exit 10 to 2 would be West Bound or South Bound

Even number roads, like I-10, I-20, I-70, I-80 are all travel from West to East & Visa Versa. Exit 1 is always at the Western End of the road in that particular State

On roads that have a Odd number, like I-5, I-15, I-81, I-95 all travel South to North & Visa Versa. Exit 1 is always at the South end of that particular State

1 - 9 of 9 Posts