DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn Classic 4X4 for the purpose of towing a small RV trailer and doing some upfitting for that purpose. My question to you professionals. Is an added transcooler needed for the 8 speed trans and recommendations of a product that will do the job effectively?
20200306_154004.jpg

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
It has a cooler/heater/heat exchanger on the transmission itself (that has a thermostat that can fail, doesn't often but can so just watch your trans temps) AND and external one that is the top part of the AC condenser. Normal towing temps will be 195-205/210 really shouldn't go much higher unless you are really pushing it up big mountains or have one of the more restrictive grilles..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has a cooler/heater/heat exchanger on the transmission itself (that has a thermostat that can fail, doesn't often but can so just watch your trans temps) AND and external one that is the top part of the AC condenser. Normal towing temps will be 195-205/210 really shouldn't go much higher unless you are really pushing it up big mountains or have one of the more restrictive grilles..
Thanks Paco !!!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
If your truck has the chrome grille, going to the honeycomb instead of the slats will offer more cooling capacity - it just flows more air, also lets in more bugs, birds and small mammals though lol.

But seriously, the Big Horn grille with the slats is restrictive and can cause you to run warm in certain conditions. I had one that was modified for more air flow and even then towing my boat @70+ mph on a 95+ humid degree day in florida was the conditions that I was maxed out on air flow and it caused me to run a bit warmer (not run hot but wouldn't drop below 212 deg or so). As soon as the temp dropped below 95 deg. or a bit of rain and temps were back to normal. This doesn't happen when I used the honeycomb insert grille.
Others have hit this wall when towing up big hills/mountains in the summer with the slat grille, going to honeycomb fixed their issue.
So, just watch the temps since you don't say where you are towing.

I currently have the 2018 Sport wishbone grille on and haven't had a chance to test it yet - damn covid.

Ideally, the normal to max temps you want to hit are - coolant (203 - low/mid 220's degrees), trans ( 195-220 degrees), oil (212- 250 deg.)
The shutters can and do affect the temps as they open and close depending on various variables.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your truck has the chrome grille, going to the honeycomb instead of the slats will offer more cooling capacity - it just flows more air, also lets in more bugs, birds and small mammals though lol.

But seriously, the Big Horn grille with the slats is restrictive and can cause you to run warm in certain conditions. I had one that was modified for more air flow and even then towing my boat @70+ mph on a 95+ humid degree day in florida was the conditions that I was maxed out on air flow and it caused me to run a bit warmer (not run hot but wouldn't drop below 212 deg or so). As soon as the temp dropped below 95 deg. or a bit of rain and temps were back to normal. This doesn't happen when I used the honeycomb insert grille.
Others have hit this wall when towing up big hills/mountains in the summer with the slat grille, going to honeycomb fixed their issue.
So, just watch the temps since you don't say where you are towing.

I currently have the 2018 Sport wishbone grille on and haven't had a chance to test it yet - damn covid.

Ideally, the normal to max temps you want to hit are - coolant (203 - low/mid 220's degrees), trans ( 195-220 degrees), oil (212- 250 deg.)
The shutters can and do affect the temps as they open and close depending on various variables.
I already have the honeycomb grill from Rough Country. Looks great and should do the job. Thanks!!!
20200306_153849.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts