DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've mentioned before my interest in adding the dual exhaust with the tips and bumper cutouts, the only reason I want to do this is because I absolutely love the look. I now know what the bumper and exhaust tips will cost. Can anyone tell me what it is that I'll need a muffler shop to do once I have the bumper and tips? Do they just simply put a y pipe in? Thanks!

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
It should already have a Y pipe. You will need a single in/duel out muffler and then have the shop run the pipes back to the bumper.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Did you end up getting this done? Got any pictures? Thinking of doing this myself, but looked under my truck today and it looks pretty crowded down there I don't see where anything would fit.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here are some pictures (It now let me add pictures again). Sorry for the quality.
Left side - need rubber exhaust hanger. The mount on the frame is there. (see previous post for part number)

Right side - reuse existing hanger

Left side routing in front of tire and over axle. There is an exhaust hanger that doesn't connect to anything. Per diagrams it's not used with the v8s either. It's really solid without it and mine hasn't moved at all with 1000s of miles on it.

From the muffler looking back over the axle.

Mount on the back of the muffler. There are two hangers. This is the biggest pia but not bad with a little persuasion. Also there is a grounding cable. Make sure to put it back on the same way.

Front of muffler mount:

Also for fun here is a picture of the truck at California pass while 4x4ing in San Juan Mountains near/on the Alpine Loop in Colorado.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Blackrain - looks like a pretty nice install was done there.

Can you share with us what muffler you used, what resonators you used, and any comments or video of the sound quality, especially any "drone" issues ?

Also if you dont mind what the total cost was so we have an idea when we go to our muffler shop ;)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I did this recently on my truck as well. It was a very simple installation. The easiest way is to get the the muffler, tailpipes and tips from a 4th gen truck with the hemi. Then you need to buy one more rubber hanger for the driver side like blackrain86 said. I bought these pieces from a member on this site for $150. Then I bought a bumper with the exhaust cutouts. I took the muffler and tailpipe off of my truck and installed the new pieces. I took my time, it probably took 2 hours but it was simple and I had no problems getting anything installed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The original thread is here: http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=155982

I used the factory dual Hemi exhaust.

Before Video: http://youtu.be/MUgDAaDtk3M
After Video: http://youtu.be/sRjVy77AQzg

I paid $140 for a used bumper and $100 for the used exhaust. I had to buy one of the rubber hangers for less than $15. I did the work myself.

Overall it sounds great. I was going more for the look.

My only complaint, is when I am going 55-60 on hilly sections or with a very stong headwind. It will drop to 7th and now that there is exhaust you can tell how often it has to downshift. Its running about 2200 RPMs. I don't think its a drone at that RPM but its slightly louder than I wanted. I might put vibrant ultra quiet resonator on before the muffler.

Both the factory 3.6 and dual Hemi exhaust have the same size main muffler. The factory 3.6 muffler has a second muffler at the end. The Hemi has two resonators. One on each dual after the muffler.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I assume, if the stock hemi exhaust fits, aftermarket stainless systems like the Borla would be an easy fit as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts