DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,
looking through the Ram book more and more...

I do not need the ST popular equipment group (I want vinyl seats, will prob get leather kit at some point), do not want Sirius radio. I would add trailer brake to get speed control and EVIC.

Has anyone added keyless entry and remote start to their Express aftermarket? IIRC most remote start units have additional buttons on the fob to open doors, etc.

Also, do we have any hints to what 2013 models will bring?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
354 Posts
The trailer brake group is a smart thing to get as you get the EVIC with it. You may want to consider the Power and Remote Entry group as well to get your power door locks and windows. I don't think remote start is available on the Express, so you are probably looking at after market on that. Due to the complicated electronics system in vehicles these days its usually best to get the items you really want added by the factory. Trouble is as I'm sure you noticed they tend to bundle things together to sell you extra stuff you don't really want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Adding Keyless Entry to Dodge Ram ST Express

You can add keyless entry. Your truck has everything needed except the keyfob and programming.

Take it to dodge and have them do this:
1. add sales code GXM to vehicle options
2. under diagnostics procedures with wi-tech do a restore vehicle reconfigurations
3. the wi-tech will then reset
4. go into WCM under misc functions and hit the reset WIN configuration
5. clear all codes then program new keys.

It works, I did it to my 2012 Dodge Ram ST express crew cab.

If you want to save money buy the fobs yourself and bring them in with you otherwise you will pay dealer price for them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I was shopping, I looked at an ST without remote keyless entry. That dealer said that if I added the factory remote start kit, it included the remote keyless entry. I ended up getting an express that already had remote keyless entry, then I had them add remote start which includes new fobs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can add keyless entry. Your truck has everything needed except the keyfob and programming.

2. under diagnostics procedures with wi-tech do a restore vehicle reconfigurations

If you want to save money buy the fobs yourself and bring them in with you otherwise you will pay dealer price for them.

I have a 2012 Express with power locks, windows. Now if I am reading this correct... All that I would need is a new set of FOBs with the remote start function button, take the truck to the dealer and have them add the sales code and go through the configuration...?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 2012 Express with power locks, windows. Now if I am reading this correct... All that I would need is a new set of FOBs with the remote start function button, take the truck to the dealer and have them add the sales code and go through the configuration...?
I don't believe that to be correct ,I ordered the remote start from Mopar. In the box was a wiring harness and the tech told me that it would have to be installed , along with the new FOBs to configure .

·
Registered
79 Posts
They replace the box behind the dash that the key goes into to install one with an antenna and receiver for the signal, add a switch to the hood latch so you can't start by bumping your key while leaning into the fan belt, and program new FOBs.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Your 2012 ST Express has everything you need to have keyless entry. If you take it to the dealer and follow the instructions I gave you it will work. I had to teach the tech how to do this. He had never heard of it but it works. If you want remote start you have to buy the setup from mopar. This only works to give you keyless entry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You may want to consider the Power and Remote Entry group as well to get your power door locks and windows.
I thought the quadcab truck came with power windows/locks/mirrors without adding a package.

You can add keyless entry. Your truck has everything needed except the keyfob and programming. It works, I did it to my 2012 Dodge Ram ST express crew cab.
Thanks for the info. If I got the Mopar remote start it comes with fobs (says poster in thread).

...I ordered the remote start from Mopar. In the box was a wiring harness and the tech told me that it would have to be installed , along with the new FOBs to configure .
What do they charge for the Mopar remote start kit?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Confirmed! Just had the dealer follow instructions on my 2015 express. Dude thank you so much.. might've been the difference between keeping the truck or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts