DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I've been lurking here for awhile now but this will be my first post. I have a 2018 1500 Quadcab Tradesman in Delmonico Red Pearl that I purchased just under 6 months ago.

Honestly, even as much as I had researched the purchase, I didn't realize that the truck wouldn't come equipped with keyless entry and I didn't think to ask the dealer before the purchase (I probably could have negotiated to have something thrown in.) I assumed that any vehicle in 2018 with power windows, mirrors, and locks was going to be equipped with keyless. That said, keyless entry is one luxury that I am unwilling to continue living without.

Just to clarify, I am talking about traditional-style remote keyless entry and not keyless "enter n'go" with a push button start. I just don't want to fumble to stick my keys in the door when my hands are full or have to rush around the truck to open the doors while a passenger stands waiting (the wife certainly isn't a fan of standing around waiting in the summer sun.)

I have done a bit of customization to the truck already, but adding an aftermarket system myself it outside of my comfort zone as I worry about the consequences were I to make a mistake. Furthermore, many stereo shops will guarantee their work, providing the peace-of-mind that comes with a warranty, but there work isn't always neat and tidy. I have gotten a quote from one dealer for over $800 for installing the Mopar remote start system (that includes keyless entry); I am unwilling to pay this as it essentially amount to highway robbery for a package that retails under $300 and requires, realistically, approximately 60 minutes of work (definitely no more than 2 hours) for the dealer to install the hood position sensor and pair the included grenade keys.

I understand that the transceiver is already installed in the vehicle. I also note that, for prior model years, many individuals report success in having the dealer add the appropriate salescode for remote keyless entry ("GXM") and then simply pairing a key or keys. However, I also understand that the security model was changed for 2018, so I do not know if this is still possible.

I contacted the service dept. of the dealer from which I bought my Ram to inquire about adding keyless via the above process. They confirmed my fear; it could not be done. However, they did not differentiate between the 2018 and prior model years. Additionally, when pressed further, the technician with which the service advisor had me speak directly advised that it could not be done for any year Tradesman and that he had never successfully been able to pair a grenade key with the transceiver in the Tradesman. The aforementioned anecdotal evidence (numerous reports of success for various model years of Tradesman/ST) suggest that he is wrong. I suspect that the issue is just that this is a mega-volume dealer and they can't be bothered to figure it out since they have all of the work they can support anyway.

There is another, much smaller dealer in town. However, I do not have any sort of relationship established with them at this time. I would prefer for my first interaction with them to not be contentious.

Can anyone on this forum confirm, as a technician or a customer that has had this procedure performed, whether or not this process can still be performed on the 2018 Tradesman? If so, what should I tell the dealer to convince them to do this? How much should I expect to pay?

Thank you!

TL/DR: I purchased a Tradesman but desire remote keyless entry. I would prefer a factory solution over aftermarket. I attempted to have a dealer add keyless via the adding the salescode and pairing keys method; they advised that it cannot be done. Is the dealer correct- can thisA no longer be done on 2018 models? Or is the dealer full of it and I should look elsewhere? What should I say and what should I pay?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Be happy with what you have. It will never break. I actually ordered my Ram to not have power windows, locks, and mirrors as well as no keyless remote. On my Dart, I have added a lock to the passenger door so I don't have to use the remote. I have used a key to open a vehicle door for over 50 years. I hate remotes.

Since you already have power locks, the latches and wiring to the latches might be ok. The RFHM would need to be replaced and programmed with one that has the capability. Fobs would need to be programmed. Then it all has to integrated into the canbus network. Not too many techs out there even have a clue how it works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the appeal of crank windows as well; I have gotten so tired of replacing window regulators on almost every vehicles I've ever owned.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I got this from an older thread but it was confirmed to work on a 2012 and a 2015.

"You can add keyless entry. Your truck has everything needed except the keyfob and programming.

Take it to dodge and have them do this:
1. add sales code GXM to vehicle options
2. under diagnostics procedures with wi-tech do a restore vehicle reconfigurations
3. the wi-tech will then reset
4. go into WCM under misc functions and hit the reset WIN configuration
5. clear all codes then program new keys.

It works, I did it to my 2012 Dodge Ram ST express crew cab.

If you want to save money buy the fobs yourself and bring them in with you otherwise you will pay dealer price for them."

·
Premium Member
32,661 Posts
I can see the advantage of using a key to unlock the doors, most of us did it for years

I can see the convenience of using a FOB to unlock the doors from 100 feet away while standing under a store awning, then making a mad dash to the vehicle during a rain storm

I can't see the advantage of leaving the FOB in my pocket, then walking up to the door & have it automatically unlock when i touch the door handle :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just took delivery of my 2018 Crew Cab Tradesman 3 days ago, and was also surprised that I over looked this handy feature. Today, I found on a MOPAR site a Keyless Entry System Module Package. It says it for a Ram C/V Tradesman - 2015. This is part number 82207153. I just wrote MOPAR customer service to ask if this works for a 2018 model.

Like you, my dealer told me that it couldn't be done and that an aftermarket kit may cause me warranty problems.

·
Premium Member
32,661 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Dealer is of no help, and they say it can't be done. I contacted RAM customer assistance and this is their reply:

Thank you for contacting the RAM Customer Assistance Center. I can

certainly understand why you'd want to know about adding keyless entry

to your vehicle.

On our end we are unable to advise if that feature can be added, and do

recommend speaking with the parts department at your dealership to see

if that option can be added.

I do apologize I couldn't be of more assistance.

Thank you again for your email. Should you require additional

assistance, or have any new information to provide, please reply to this

email message or call 1-866-RAM-INFO (1-866-726-4636).

Sincerely,

Jocelyn

Customer Service Representative

RAM Customer Assistance Center

I'll just get an aftermarket remote start. Best Buy installs these for about $300.
FCA doesn't want Tradesman owners to have this feature!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I can see the advantage of using a key to unlock the doors, most of us did it for years

I can see the convenience of using a FOB to unlock the doors from 100 feet away while standing under a store awning, then making a mad dash to the vehicle during a rain storm

I can't see the advantage of leaving the FOB in my pocket, then walking up to the door & have it automatically unlock when i touch the door handle :4-dontknow:

I used to think that too, until I bought my Rebel. I love not having to dig my keys or a key fob out of my pocket, and either fumble for the right key or which button to press on the fob. Even if I have my hands full, I can just hook a single finger into the door handle and open it up. Now I'm wishing my 2010 Audi had the same feature whenever I go to drive it. Could I get along with out it? Sure. But now that I have it, I want it on every car from now on.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Dealers suck, they don't want to do anything extra for anyone anymore. The parts dept people are mostly idiots that can't find anything on their computers. I recently wanted to add the radio buttons to the back of my steering wheel. I called my selling dealers parts dept and they told me it couldn't be done. So I ordered the Mopar parts online and added it myself, works like a charm.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've priced it at 3 different dealers for my '17 Express blackout. The lowest I got quoted was $367 odd number but they said call ahead about a week and they'd have the parts ordered and ready to go it'd take about 2-3 hrs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you found anything else out about adding keyless entry to your truck? I am in the same boat. My dealership said I don’t have the R.F. module in my truck according to the VIN.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah I used 12v solutions kit. Waayyyy chapter than factory and it works flawlessly. Black Friday dealing got it and the forever warranty for a little over 200

·
Registered
3 Posts
All, I was able to have my dealer use these instructions to add a Fobik and RKE to a 2019 Classic Eco Diesel Tradesmen! It did have the electronics package with 8.4" UConnect but no keyless entry, just the hard key.

I got this from an older thread but it was confirmed to work on a 2012 and a 2015.

"You can add keyless entry. Your truck has everything needed except the keyfob and programming.

Take it to dodge and have them do this:
1. add sales code GXM to vehicle options
2. under diagnostics procedures with wi-tech do a restore vehicle reconfigurations
3. the wi-tech will then reset
4. go into WCM under misc functions and hit the reset WIN configuration
5. clear all codes then program new keys.

It works, I did it to my 2012 Dodge Ram ST express crew cab.

If you want to save money buy the fobs yourself and bring them in with you otherwise you will pay dealer price for them."

·
Registered
2 Posts
millc5: I just bought a 2019 Eco Diesel Tradesman and have the same electronics package. Do you have a part number for the key fob?

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered a "refurb" from amazon. I guess the refurbished ones are a bit of a gamble but this one worked in my case once the sales code was added.

I went to a dealer today and they said they could do it but then when they went to do it they told me that the big bosses said that they cant change the sales code. Did you have this issue?

They said that I need to buy a new reciever for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went to a dealer today and they said they could do it but then when they went to do it they told me that the big bosses said that they cant change the sales code. Did you have this issue?

They said that I need to buy a new reciever for it.
That sucks. I spoke to one dealer who told me its not possible because my VIN did not have it. I then went to a second dealer and the service writer said they would try to add the sales code and program the Fobik for 1/2 hr labor but would not guarantee it would work and it worked without a hitch. I cant imagine yours is different than mine. They have the ability to add the sales codes, this is what they have to do to add dealer installed options. You have the receiver behind the back seat, I was told its the same one the TPMS sensors use. The one for remote start is different because there is an added wire to the hood latch,

Sounds like they just dont want to bother with it, try another dealer.

My buddy is having his done in a few days and he does not have 8.4" screen electronics package so I will let you know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts