DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of my lighting project I picked up some strip LED's. I have some for both front foot wells and for the back. I would like them to come on when I open the door.

Can someone who has done this make my life easier and tell me where I can hook the lights into the harness?

Or, can someone point me to a copy of a color schematic so I can at least chase it down fairly easily???

I have a 2012. Thanks......

mikeski

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I like that idea I will be watching this thread as well since I wanted to do something similiar. Kool.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased two 19.5"?? strips and a 30" strip of the non waterproof. The pair will fit perfectly in the front foot wells. The plan for the 30" at the moment is to cut a pair of 12" pieces out of it to mount under each front seat pointing back. I have the center console. I would like to mount another strip in the back of the cubby on the console at the dash. I might even like that to be switchable allowing it to be off/on/door open on.

mikeski

·
Registered
248 Posts
To allow them to come on when the door is opened I would think taping into the door pin switch positive would be the most convienet way. They should work when using the dimmer as well.

I am doing something similar as well but probally puting them on a small toggle switch in the dash.

Also plan on installing 3mm pre wired led's behing the inside door handles and in the pockets below the arm rests and wiring them into the window switch wire that powers the led in the buttons.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the thought Almond. I was thinking about powering both from the middle. I had not really thought about mounting them to each switch. What I was hoping for was a pointer to a wire I could get at without ripping into the side of the truck ;-).

So Almond, it sounds like you are not going to have them as part of the door switch. You could put in a 3 position switch like I am thinking about. Off, On, On when door open. I am not sure if it is worth the extra wiring. hahahah. Do I need the foot well lights on when the doors are closed? But you have extra lights going in also.

I think I will just rip into one of the sides and find the switch wire. Then run that to the center console. I can wire all the foot well lights from there.

mikeski

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Someoe will come along sooner or later with a wiring diagram for you. I have my footwell and accent LEDs running off of a relay on my illumination harness from my headunit so when the lights are one, the inside of my truck is bright blue lol

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was a nice day outside and I spent a good part of it working on the inside lights. It's still a work in progress but I did a major part of it. I will do a writeup on it once complete. Here's a preview of what's coming...

I created a buss with 4 tails for the power and ground. The ground is bolted to the chassis there at the center. I traced the wires for the map lights and was able to patch in right at the door behind the dash access panel. The passenger side has a great place to stick the strip to. The 19.5" is perfect. The drivers side is going to require that I fabricate something for the lights to attach to. I'm thinking a strip of galvanized that I can attach to the two screw mounts at the bottom of the fascia under the steering wheel. I ran out of light so it's all back together for the moment. Maybe I can get to Ace or something tomorrow at lunch.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey B. If you lived in the greater Raleigh area I would be happy to instruct you while you performed the mod yourself. The pain was figuring out which wire I could tap in the dash to get the job done. The rest is basic fabrication. I am documenting the install with pictures and will post all when the job is complete.

All the connectors are soldered be it wire to wire or wire to connector(Crimps are bad){in my best South Park voice}. There is only one piece of tape in the install. That's where I tapped the line. I left the wire intact and just stripped some insulation back, attached the wire and then taped it all together. Where I could put shrink wrap I did. I pushed the barrel connectors out of their housings, soldered the connector on and then slid the housing back in place. The power buss comes from the tap, through a fuse and then 4 pig tails were attached to the end (female). The ground bus is just a connection to ground with 4 pig tails again.

Four pig tails = front two foot wells. A run to the back for the back foot wells and a run to the cubby in front of the shifter. I am thinking about finding another power source for the cubby. I would like it to come on with the door, be on or be off.

I could draw you a schematic and put together a parts list. Most of the info is on the order forms I printed out.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked up some angle and flat aluminum stock today. The angle stock is L shaped. I plan to install the lights on the thin part and create a couple of standoff brackets to hold the bar in place.

It's been cold and blustery all day and now it's dark. So it will just have to wait till tomorrow maybe.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I built a mount for my strip lights in the drivers foot well. Some L shaped aluminum and some flat stock. I think it worked out real well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Very nice job. Keep it up. If I keep the wife happy I may be doing some lighting mod's this spring.....She says it's just a truck, and I tell her "IT"S MY BABY!!!!"

Cheers!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After 27+ years of marriage it gets to the point that as long as things work and bills are getting paid I pretty much do stuff like this with no questions asked. Plus, she knows where I am at if I'm under the hood or shining things on the Ram or my TR6.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Awesome as usual mike! Mine are taped onto that little lip under the the dash that you can see lol. Not the greatest place, but it works. I always figured once they start to fall or something ill build actual brackets for them.

You should light up the TR6 next, the make LEDs in green too :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, it did not take long. I do have a drill press so the bracket to bracket holes were easy. And a vise to bend the flat stock. I only had to drill the one hole by the A pillar. The other was there and had a wire holder plugged in.

As for the 6.... it needs the front end rebuilt before I start messing with the lights.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
looks good Mike. Thanks for the write up.

:rep:

I'd be interested in the specifics of what/ where you tapped into in order to see the light (so to speak)

Exco

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Exco, I have that. I will post shortly.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, the last piece of the front part of the cabin was acquiring the power. I have no idea where the switch on the door is. So I went for the map lights because someone mentioned the A pillar. That led to yanking the overhead fixture out to determine which wires went to the maps. I found the wires in the A pillar and followed the wires to a connector that is accessible from the drivers side dash side cover.

I yanked the connector and spliced in a wire for my bus on the other side of the connector. I added a fuse and a 4 connector pig tail. 3 for the front and 1 ro pass to the back. I also created a ground pigtail with 4 wires. I removed a bolt on the center support stuff and slid a round connector over the bolt and tightened it back down. I used barrel plugs because I could pull the casing off and solder the wires then slide the casing back on.

I will have this all in order on my web page soon. Most of it is there already. This is the last part to go there for now too.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Looking good man!!!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts