DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2017 Ram 1500 Limited but it did not have front tow hooks on it. Plan on doing this myself and just got the tow hooks and the Mopar Bezels for the install. Has anyone done this and if so, any hints or suggestions before I start?
Thanks.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
I haven't done it, but was close to attempting it and failing miserably at it myself. I had the Mopar OEM tow hooks and bezels added in my Amazon cart and was about to click "buy now". But something told me to ask the same question on here, and fortunately for me, a knowledgeable member pointed out to me that those bezels would do me no good since I have the Express\Sport bumper. I'm still conflicted on installing tow hooks. I'd love to have them, but not in the interest of carving up my plastic bumper to accomplish it.

Now back to your question - I believe that if you have the chrome bumper, which I assume you do with your trim level, you will be fine. I hear the install is pretty straight forward. Perhaps another member who has actually done the install will reply soon. Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesterday installed the tow hooks and bezels. If you have a 1500 with the chrome bumper process is easy to do.
First, take out four bolts on each blank bezel on each side.
Second, install new bezel's with cut outs.
Third, install tow hooks with open end pointing out.
Forth, torque tow hook mounting bolts to correct tightness.
Fifth, crawl out from under your truck and admire what you just did.
Whole job only took about 1 hour.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yesterday installed the tow hooks and bezels. If you have a 1500 with the chrome bumper process is easy to do.
First, take out four bolts on each blank bezel on each side.
Second, install new bezel's with cut outs.
Third, install tow hooks with open end pointing out.
Forth, torque tow hook mounting bolts to correct tightness.
Fifth, crawl out from under your truck and admire what you just did.
Whole job only took about 1 hour.
That's really all there is too it, just did it on my SXT the other night. I made the mistake on putting the first on on backwards and had to redo it, looks way better now though haha.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed them on my Crew Cab SLT today. Just as you outlined easy to install. Love the look of them on the front

·
Registered
50 Posts
would tow hooks be able to be added to a 2x4? or are the OEM tow hooks only engineered for the different frame of a 4x4?

·
Super Moderator
34,694 Posts
You can add them to either. The bumper part of the frame is not different on 4x4s and 4x2s, the suspension part is. If anything, tow hooks make more sense to mount on a 2wd since they are for getting pulled out. Pulling people out in reverse is a bad idea since front diffs are pretty much always smaller than rear diffs, reverse gears are taller than 1st gears, and IFS is weaker than a beam axle

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm considering ordering tow hooks and installing them myself. My tradesman has the black painted bumper, is that the same structurally as the upper trim chrome bumper? Should this be doable in a driveway with basic tools? And lastly, is setting off the airbag a possibility considering I will be working around the front bumper?

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Your Tradesman should be no different than installing on a chrome bumper. If you manage to set the airbags off, you did something very, very bad and deliberately; they take a pretty good impact to set off. This should be a low impact, low stress job for you.

·
Super Moderator
34,694 Posts
Do you have to remove the air dam in order to install the tow hooks?

It may make the install go easier, but its just some pushpins and two screws. You can put it back on when they're installed

·
Registered
191 Posts
I recently added the tow hooks to my 2013 Sport. The hardest part in my opinion was cutting out the slots for the hooks. It seemed to be a major pain to remove the plastic panel, so I cut the openings w/o removing it. The hooks slightly pushed down on the lower bumper when tightened. If you don't have to cut openings, the install would be a piece of cake and maybe take 10 minutes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts