DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my brand new Ram 1500 Express with RES-RSC radio. Main reason I upgraded to the bluetooth capable was for music streaming, NOT phone calls. One big problem, I expected to have some steering wheel controls and I have none! Not sure if this was an option because I was never mentioned it. Cut to the chase, I know for a fact that the RES-RSC is steering wheel control capable so is it possible for me to install the actual controls myself? Pretty pissed off about this because I custom ordered the truck for a reason, to get exactly what I wanted, then I dont get exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have done this in my 2011 1500 ST. There has been a steering wheel change for 2012 and I do not know exactly how the modification should be done on your truck but I am sure it will be somewhat similar.

Does your truck have the EVIC control buttons on the steering wheel? If it does the swap may just be replacing the buttons with ones with the radio controls and then the wiring splice at the clock spring wires.

I am going to look at wiring schematics and see if the new streering wheel is still wired similarly to mine.

·
Registered
917 Posts
My have the Res radio with Bluetooth steering wheel controls. Came this way from factory.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks APSTRAM. I havent been able to find a 2012 wiring diagram but I am sure it is the same. My real concern is that although the wheels look the same looking dead one (other than cruise) the back dimensions may have changed. I have seen the back of a 2009 and 2010 rams steering wheels with audio controls on the back. There are subtle differences on the front but major changes as to bolt locations on the back. Im gonna play it safe and wait for a 2012 steering wheel with audio controls to come on the market.
I asked Chrysler why I didnt have the option for the controls when I was custom building my truck. It is because the audio controls and the RDZ flash are only available from the factory on SLT and Outdoorsman models. So $30 in parts and free BCM logic is only factory available on the most expensive trucks. I have a feeling they do this on purpose :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts