DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I upgraded my stock RES radio to an RBZ out of a 2011 Jeep. Got the Uconnect kit off eBay PN 82212159 and the Ipod control cable PN 82212160. The Ipod works great and I can control all music functions through the radio just fine. I installed the Uconnect kit myself since the dealer quoted $150 to install. Went to the dealer to get the Uconnect activated and they tell me they need the SALES CODE to activate it? They say they have several to choose from on the list so they don't know which one to use?

I'm waiting to hear back from the guy I purchased the kit from, but in the mean time, does anyone know how I can find out the SALES CODE so I can get this activated???

Thank you!!!!

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe that either they or you are using the wrong terminology

The Sales Code is the 3 letters RBZ
Look at the top image of this site, lower right corner of the face plate
http://www.chrysler.com/en/owners/quality/rbz/
Appreciate the reply but it was the code for the Uconnect kit that I needed as answered above. Thanks for the link though, since I don't have the manual for my RBZ that will come in handy! :smileup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is the swap for RES or REQ to RBZ just a swap or did you need wire harness adaptors? (mine has uconnect)
I'm taking delivery of my truck on Tuesday and am looking to upgrade the radio.
Also can I install a RHB or RHR and have the Nav work?

Any suggestions for an easy to install aftermarket touchscreen?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Awesome thread this would be something I would consider for my Express since it did not come with it and I am confident enough that I could do the swap myself as you did. Could it be possible the dealer is giving you the run around because you did not have them do the install, would not be the first time it happened. Just a possibility given GTs post regarding the info being readily, and obviously, available to them.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
The swap to RBZ non navigation is real easy from what i understand
The swap to the RHR & RHB is also an easy swap, they are all the same size
The only thing that you may need is a GPS antenna,
I don't know for sure but the GPS antenna may be inside the RHR

There are several after market radios that are considered better then what comes stock in our Rams
If you get a after market Double Din radio, you will need to trim the opening in your dash a bit, but the replacement dash bezel hides any imperfections, if you over cut
METRA makes some real nice dash bezels that work nicely & appear to be stock.

Several of the members have made the change to a double din & they are less costly & with an adapter, you still will have the steering wheel controls

check out the radio mods section on this site
http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Reactions: jacksonsnorth

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Thanks for the link, It is much appreciated. I have become really addicted to this site. The wealth of info, and the willingness by majority of members to help by posting links with their comments is great. I try to use links as much as possible too, it helps alot. Reps to ya GT. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The swap was simple, just uplug the 2 antenna wires (regular radio and Sirus) and the large connector from the back of the radio and swap in the new one. If your's doesn't have Sirus installed already (look on the roof for the little black antenna) then you'll need one of those as well as a GPS antenna (you'll have 3 antenna hook ups, they're color coded so you know where to put what). I understand there is one you can get that is dual (Sirus and NAV) setup so you might want to check into that.

Just got back from getting the Uconnect activated. After repremanding my service guy (in a nice way) he knocked $10 off for my having to make 2 trips, ended up costing me $39.95 to get it activated. Iphone connected and working perfectly as well. My service guy is a young kid and it was apparent he wasn't very knowledgeable about it. He was surprised when I said I had installed it myself, said it was the first time he heard of a customer doing it? Anyway he now knows he can just go to his parts dept and get the sales code for future needs!

I did discover that if you Bluetooth your music to the head unit you lose the functionality of controlling the Iphone. All you can do is work within the playlist you selected on the phone. So I'll stick to using my cable setup so I can continue having full control through the head unit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the swap for RES or REQ to RBZ just a swap or did you need wire harness adaptors? (mine has uconnect)
I'm taking delivery of my truck on Tuesday and am looking to upgrade the radio.
Also can I install a RHB or RHR and have the Nav work?

Any suggestions for an easy to install aftermarket touchscreen?
I was originally going to go aftermarket but in the end it was going to cost me over $1,400 to get one with NAV. They have to add a bunch of adapters to the system to keep everything working. Best bet, check out eBay for RHR or RHB head units. That's how I found my RBZ. I've seen RHR/RHB's going for around $800 to $1,000 used, beats $2,000 for a new one.

·
Registered
801 Posts
This is true, The Iphone becomes the controller when you are in BTSA (Bluetooth streaming Audio) mode. The only VR command that you have is "next track". When you are cabled, the radio is the controller.

I did discover that if you Bluetooth your music to the head unit you lose the functionality of controlling the Iphone. All you can do is work within the playlist you selected on the phone. So I'll stick to using my cable setup so I can continue having full control through the head unit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts