DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2014 Ram Laramie with only one of the key style FOBs. I purchased a used and supposedly 2014 FOB advertised on eBay. The FCC number on it matches my original. The local locksmith procured a PIN from Chrysler Corp. and was able to make me a simple “chip” key. He had no problem adding/removing the original and chip keys at will, but was unable to get the truck to accept the eBay FOB. I see references to “unlocking” keys on several key remanufacturing websites. Is there some kind of “unlocking” or “blanking” step that needs to be done to the eBay FOB itself before trying to sync it to the truck? Anyone successfully added a used, non-remanufactured (salvage yard) FOB?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply namretsud!

Do you have any idea why a used FOB would behave any differently than a brand new one? Does the programming actually modify the data in the FOB or does it just read it's serial number and add it to the permitted keys in the truck's computer?

If the FOB's themselves get reprogrammed, I'm curious whether the FOB refurbishers (I've found several) are replacing the RFID chips inside them because they are only one-time-programmable devices?

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I have read that a FOBs Chip can't be reprogrammed

There is another member that disputes that

These are common answers that are going around the internet

https://www.google.com/#q=reusing+a+FOB+on+a+different+vehicle

I guess that another reason not to buy a Chevy truck is that they can use the same GM FOB on several GM vehicles, just by doing a dance with the FOBs

·
Registered
11 Posts
There's more to programming the key than just the key fob. There's a module in the truck, mine was behind the rear seat, that must be programmed in conjunction with the key fob. At least that's my take on it after the work I've done on mine. I installed the Mopar remote start on mine and the fobs and the module both had to be replaced as well as programmed by the dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts