DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just purchased a 2012 Dodge Ram express. Singles cab, short bed, 5.7 l hemi, automatic, straight pipes. It had 12.4k miles when i bought it and have driven about 200 since then. There was one accident on the carfax, as far as i could tell the front bumper was the only thing replaced/repainted.On my way home from the dealership, the the tire pressure light came on, blinking for a while then went solid. I checked all the tires, one was low (29 psi) so i corrected them all to 36 psi. (I then noticed the spare was missing.) I know the sensor requires you to drive for a while to reset, so I drove it for two days and the light is still on. Took it to the dealership and they told me the factory wheels were switched so the sensors werent matching up. I called the place i purchased the truck from, and they seem to think that the sensor is tripping because there is no spare tire, so they ordered me one and said they would take care of the sensor problem when it came in. While detailing my truck tonight, I noticed the driver side front fender sticks out about a 1/4 in further than the left fender. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the bolts holding the fender on have been turned before because some of the paint is rubbed off of them. So it seems the fender has been removed for one reason or another. This seems fishy to me and i dont know if i should be concerned or if i am just being paranoid. Other than the sensor going off the truck runs, drives, handles great. Does anyone have any advice on the sensor issue? Also should i be concerned about the fender? Should i take it to a body shop and see if the can re align it? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :smileup:

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
See what happens with the spare tire & sensor issue, then you can decide where you want to go from there

Welcome to this forumZ

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Its not the spare tire because I took mine out months ago with no problem. try to reset your truck with the key on and off 3 time then the gas 3times

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
YUP, like the others say, not the spare tire, I run all summer with no spare tire, actually, I had a flat and used the spare, and the indicator kept saying I had a tire issue till I had my tire replace and put back on the truck. Check your door jam to see what tire pressure you are supposed to be running, should be around 40 psi if not 42, this will also depend if your running 17's or 20's

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok great. So that means that the tires and wheels really were changed. The wheels are factory wheels, the tires are coooper, not sure if they are factory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and on the door it says 35psi, i went one psi over for good measure

·
Registered
938 Posts
I would be more concerned about the fender issue. Take it back to the dealer and see what they'll do for you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ok great. So that means that the tires and wheels really were changed. The wheels are factory wheels, the tires are coooper, not sure if they are factory
It's not a big deal if the wheels and tires were changed or not, could just be a bad sensor, or the dealership needs to reset the settings. I just got new wheels and tires and used my factory sensors and have no issues. if the truck was wrecked than it's very possible that the sensor was damaged they are pretty inexpensive to replace.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think those should be good year wrangler hp tires on it. If you bought it from the dealer with only 12 mi. on it, they should straighten everything out for you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I believe that once the light goes on, the tire has to be pumped up to it's normal pressure in order for the light to go off, nut just above the trip point. Try pumping the tire up to 4-5 psi above what the door sticker says. The sensors are not perfectly accurate, I know that when I pump all 4 of mine to the same pressure on the gauge, the EVIC sometimes shows 3-4 psi difference between them. You might still be below what the sensor system needs to reset the light. It could also be a faulty TPMS sensor, but I don't think that's very common. Hopefully it's not a broken wire or something related to the fender bender.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Should of came with Goodyear wrangler hp tires, and I run 32-33 psi in mine as I'm empty and around town a lot. No bells or lights go off. Heck my winter rims don't even have tpms and besides the n/a on the evic nothing else changed!

I'd get the fender aligned if it bothers you, after all you knew it was smashed so a little tweaking sometimes is needed because not all body shops are created equal unfortunately.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I bet it is a faulty TPMS sensor. Those things can go out for inknown reasons. Even if you buy used, the dealer usually gives you a 12 month warranty or so. I bet they'll fix you up if you're reasonable with them. The spare tires don't have the TPMS on them I don't believe. Do they? On the 13 models, some of them only come with half a tire anymore. More like a car spare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts