DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie here and was hoping you guys could give me some advice. I recently bought a 09 Ram and would like to improve the performance with a cold air intake and exhaust upgrade. What would you guys recomend? Did your air intake require relocating everything or use the existing location? The truck is a TRX-4 Hemi with single side outlet exhaust. I would prefer an exhaust system with dual side outlets (both sides or one), but would go with a dual rear outlet if that is all that is available. If you know the HP and torque #'s you gained that would be great information also. I know I could probably find this information if I went through the pages in this forum, but my computer is so slow. I would really appreciate any information. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am a newbie here and was hoping you guys could give me some advice. I recently bought a 09 Ram and would like to improve the performance with a cold air intake and exhaust upgrade. What would you guys recomend? Did your air intake require relocating everything or use the existing location? The truck is a TRX-4 Hemi with single side outlet exhaust. I would prefer an exhaust system with dual side outlets (both sides or one), but would go with a dual rear outlet if that is all that is available. If you know the HP and torque #'s you gained that would be great information also. I know I could probably find this information if I went through the pages in this forum, but my computer is so slow. I would really appreciate any information. Thanks.
I have an AFE stage 2 intake system that uses the lower half of the factory air box. Simple intstall. AFE says that it adds 16 hp and flows 22% more air. My truck had the factory duals out the rear, so I had my local shop cut out the stocker and put in a magnaflow, $150 installed. My last truck had single side exit exhaust, and they put duals out the back with a flowmaster for about $300. I'm sure that your local shop can put dual out on the side. Not sure about the hp gains on muffler, but sounds awesome! :smileup:

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I wouldn't be looking for big number gains on either mod. They along with a tuner will still give you the best bang for your buck though.

As far as brand names on the CAI, I think it all comes down to personal preference (I tend to be partial to AEM), as they'll all do pretty much the same thing. About the only difference (for the most part) are looks, price, and how big a PITA it is to install.

The same can be said about the exhaust. I personally went with the FlowMaster 50 series (I read somewhere that it was designed for the HEMI), as I didn't want something that was stupid loud.

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
^ Agreed. An intake may help but a combination of a tuner and an intake will defiantly give you the performance increase you want. My personal choice was a Vararam Intake. Sure they cost a bit more but at least they have guaranteed claims.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have Magnaflow si/do and I love it. It does exit straight out the back but with the tips that come with the kit I personally think it looks as good as you can get without the dual exhaust cut-out rear bumper. Sometimes I wish I went with the 18" but to be honest its got just the perfect rumble for me.

Last night I installed an AFE Stage2 CAI just like New2Ram, and he explained everything you need to know about that.

Any way you choose, you can't go wrong with opening up the air flow for these trucks.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I vote magnaflow..I did flow 50's awhile back but immediately showed improvement by swappin to magnaflows...as well as drive with peace and quiet incab as well..

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just have a K&N drop in filter and it does really good since our trucks don't have much restriction as is in the intake, but I'll probably get a K&N intake system later. I also have a true dual flowmaster 50 series exhaust and I love it. It's loud with the pedal and quite at an idel. I eliminated the Y pipe and made it in to two single pipes. My next upgrade will be headers. But like everyone above said its all about personal opinions. Good luck bro.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
...add e-cutouts to the list later, personal preference for me is that i want my truck to be quiet 90 percent of the time...but when I open the cutouts, I am louder than almost everyone... and i can adjust that tone too and not be stuck with just a one tone loud exhaust..I've been there and done that and it get's old fairly quickly...

the neighborhood kids get a kick out of it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_OXgrOk5k8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
lol thats awesome fred! and i agree, im kinda leaning towards K&N because my buddy has a 4x4 with one and a muffler just like me, and he pulled hard on me and sounded great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts