DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering buying a 2015 Ram 4x4 (6cyl). My question is this: The truck has a 2 1/2 in leveling kit and 20 in wheels. I want the most efficiency that I can get from the truck. Is 17 in or 20 in wheels/tires best for comfort and gas mileage? Will the 17's look ok with the leveling kit? What setup gives you the best ride and gas mileage? Thanks so much

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 2015 Laramie 4X4 has 20" wheels. Looks great and rides very nicely. The 4 corner air ride, I'm sure, adds to the great ride as it's a terrific suspension.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
I have a 2015 SLT Quad cab 17" wheels and V6 Pentstar,20/23 mpg...
Ride comfort is very nice ,car like, From what I have read the 20" has less sidewalls and not as smooth ! I would guess not much, Never driven with 20". I am sure other will chime in ! As for looks with a level I am no help and IMO not worthy the fuss for me to do it lol, If possible I would test drive 1 with 17" and 20 " to see what feels good for you !
And WELCOME to the group. Also I think there are a few threads with pictures with a level kit and tire difference,, I post it if I find it!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
For mpg, get rid of the leveling kit.

As far as tires, the 20's will give you better handling. The 17's a slightly better ride and possibly a bit more mpg depending on the tire size. On either using an all terrain tire will cost you mpg, using an all season is a better choice.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
17's are better for off road. Less sidewall on 20's gives a better more stable ride.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,601 Posts
I would say, a lot would depend on whether or not it was a 3.6 Pentastar or 3.0 Ecodiesel? Then you need to know the transmission and what rear end you're getting with it? Also, you know that the 4X4s get a little worse gas mileage than the 2X4s, right?

Finally, let me just say this. Why would you own a truck, if you weren't going to use a truck to do truck things? I can carry some heavy awkward things, tow heavy awkward things, or even take it out for a dinner date with my wife. Gas mileage is the one of last things I worry about when buying a truck. This is why I bought my Ram. I might not always tote things around, but when I do, I have the power to do it! As well as extra room, comfort and size.

If I were never going to use all the features of a truck, then I guess one of the things I would be concerned with is economy? Do your research, I hope someone can give you a better answer here, as there are many V-6 owners on this site.

In the end you have to do what's right for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am seriously considering buying a 2015 Ram 4x4 (6cyl). My question is this: The truck has a 2 1/2 in leveling kit and 20 in wheels. I want the most efficiency that I can get from the truck. Is 17 in or 20 in wheels/tires best for comfort and gas mileage? Will the 17's look ok with the leveling kit? What setup gives you the best ride and gas mileage? Thanks so much
I got a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 with the V6. 20 inch wheels and all season tires. Ride is super smooth and I average 24.5 mpg on my drive to and from work. Truck is most efficient if you keep it below 70 mph. I noticed a decrease in efficiency at 75 mph. I wouldn’t go with a lift. With the 20 inch wheels, I actually think it looks perfect. I’m against lifts in general though...not worth putting additional stress on major components for a “look”.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Wheel size doesn't matter much, tire size does. The 17s come with 31.5" tires usually and the 20s come with 33s. The 33s are 10 mm wider than the 31.5s so you'll get slightly better mileage and power with the smaller ones, but removing the level will make more of a difference in improving MPG than changing wheel size.

I have a couple of V6 Ram 1500s in my fleet at work, they have plenty of power depending on what you want to do with them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts