DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dropped in the Dryflow AEM filter purchased through AutoAnything. I didn't realize that these are actually K&N filters, as their name is stamped into the rubber gasket. Install was as simple as opening the stock airbox and replacing the filters. I didn't notice any increase in sound or butt dyno performance increases, however the filter seemed very well made and was very sturdy.

Attached are a few photos to compare the stock filter to the AEM. Stock filter is orange while the new AEM is black and red:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Check the efficiency rating. While I was searching for filters I came across data that did not make them look like a great filter. Check BITOG.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of the comments I found on there actually are saying most guys have gone to this style vs. the oiled filters etc. etc.

If you have data, please share the link so others don't have to search for it.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The article you reference is from 2009 using an oiled filter, not a dry filter as the AEM. I'm not denying any of your claims, but lets not use old data from parts that aren't applicable to my thread. Many threads on this forum discuss the use of oiled filters and their issues..... I don't dispute any of the info contained in your link, however it's just not useful info since it doesn't include data on the new dry filters recently produced.

If you find the AEM test thread, I would be interested to read it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
From what I have seen, AEM doesn't post ISO test data. Any claims positive or negative mean nothing...dry or oiled. Just more clever marketing..........

·
Registered
65 Posts
The factory style filter has a *ton* more filter element. If you could deconstruct the two of them and stretch out the element, you'd see that there is more surface area in the factory style.

The new factory style filters also seem to be a bit better, as they're roughly 1/4" thicker, which means even more filter area. More area means less pressure drop.

The replacement filters look like less than half the pleats, which means a corresponding drop in filter surface area. To maintain the same flow with less area you need to decrease filtration ability. It also means it will plug up faster, with a corresponding increase in restriction.

I have seen used oil analysis results (one of them my own) that show an increase in silicates and wear metals after switching to a K&N filter. Silicates are dust and dirt particles getting into the engine. Those trends disappeared once the factory style filters were reinstalled.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nothing about that AEM filter looks "better" than the OE piece. Look at how much smaller overall the AEM is.... That means that there is less filtering media so in order to increase airflow you have to actually FILTER LESS which means letting more contaminants into your engine :4-looney:

I know its your truck and you can do as you wish but the stock filter will flow wayyy more air than a stock or even mildly tuned hemi will ever need. AND it will actually be capturing dirt!

It really is so simple but people will never stop believing the advertising claims. If you want real horsepower gains you have to pay and that means forced induction/spray or a stroker kit.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At no time in my original thread did I discuss the AEM filtering better/worse/same as the stock filter. The post was also void of any claims of efficiency, hp gains etc.....

It was a simple post to display a few comparison photos so that others can see what's out there. There are hundreds of posts that cover switching the stock filters over to an aftermarket dry filter element to increase airflow using the stock air box. That's all this is...... so don't get your panties in a wad gentleman!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I know man, I didn't mean it as a personal attack at all. I just want people that plan on keeping their trucks for a long while, to steer clear of these things to avoid dusting the engine. If you want a zero "seat of the pants increase", no gain in real world fuel economy while letting more dirt get ingested into your engine, I say go for it.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Is this filter a reusable dry filter?
I mean, once dirty, can it be cleaned, allow to dry, and then re-used?

Any particular reason why this specific filter vs OEM or another brand?

Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, it's a dry filter that's reusable and does not require oil like many of the older models to assist in capturing dirt. Once dirty, you spray it off and let it dry. From there you just pop it back into the filter.

There wasn't a real reason why this was chosen over another brand, I just got a good deal from Auto Anything when ordering other parts, so figured why not. If nothing else, it allowed me to take a few photos for everyone and start a dialog.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Yes, it's a dry filter that's reusable and does not require oil like many of the older models to assist in capturing dirt. Once dirty, you spray it off and let it dry. From there you just pop it back into the filter.

There wasn't a real reason why this was chosen over another brand, I just got a good deal from Auto Anything when ordering other parts, so figured why not. If nothing else, it allowed me to take a few photos for everyone and start a dialog.
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts